- Straight: "Bob, you destroyed the public library and let three drug-smugglers go free, but thanks to you, the mayor's daughter is safe, so I guess I can't fire you."
- "Bob, you obliterated three cities and allowed seven of the FBI's 10 Most Wanted to escape, but the mayor's daughter will most likely live, so here's your reward."
- "Bob, you just destroyed half of the universe and released a prison of crazy serial killers, but the mayor's dog is safe, so I can't fire you."
- "Bob, you have reduced the entirity of the multiverse excluding this one room to cinders, putting all living beings through excruciating pain in doing so, but my trading cards are all undamaged so congrats on your promotion!"
- Downplayed: The mistakes Bob made actually were trivial compared to what good he did, but his superior still wants to warn him about those mistakes.
- The purpose of the mission was to save the mayor's daughter, so Bob technically did what he was required to do.
- "You risked many lives just to save one. I guess you showed us what it truly means to be an officer."
- The mayor's daughter is the key witness against the drug-smugglers, so there was no point in catching them but losing her as they would have had to be let go anyway. The library's destruction was not his idea.
- Inverted: "Bob, I'm glad you avoided collateral damage and caught the bad guys, but the mayor's daughter died in the chaos, so I'm going to need you to turn in your badge."
- Subverted: "You destroyed the public library and let three drug-smugglers go free. Turn in Your Badge."
- Double Subverted: "At least, that's what I should be saying, but the mayor went to bat for you after you saved his daughter, so I guess I can't fire you."
- "Bob, you leveled the city, killed thousands of people, endangered countless others, destroyed seven national landmarks, broke the President's arm, and got me a doughnut. I think someone's up for a promotion!"
- "Bob, you bring all cute animals to extinction and make babies cry, but at least you managed to accomplish a cloning project that will bring back cute animals and make the best toys for babies. That means big rewards for you."
- Zig Zagged: (continued from "Double Subverted") "...But I don't answer to the mayor, so you've got 30 minutes to clean out your desk."
- No collateral damage was caused.
- Or the mission went perfectly.
- Enforced: The executives want to keep this Cash Cow Franchise going, so they prevent the screenwriters from firing the hero.
Carl: "That Bob sure is gonna get it."
- "Phew! For a second there, I really thought you were going to fire me!"
- Bob's rival, Carl, who would have Bob's promotion otherwise, looks on the conversation:
The Chief: "...But you saved the President's daughter, so I'm going to promote you."
- Invoked: Bob is about to be fired, but brings up the point that he saved the mayor's daughter. The chief concedes Bob's argument, and allows him to keep his job.
- Exploited: Bob knows that, as long as he does some good, he won't get in trouble, so he does whatever he feels like.
- Defied: "Listen, I don't give a damn that you saved the mayor's daughter! You destroyed a building and you didn't catch your man! You're fired!"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Alright, troper, you ruined an examples page and allowed misspelling on a Useful Notes page. But the Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving page is still intact, so I guess you're alright.