: An animal character has physical traits that should only apply to whichever gender the character is not.
- Straight: Joey, the male kangaroo, has a pouch.
- His best friends comprise a bull with an udder, a doe with antlers, a peahen with colorful feathers, a lioness with a mane, etc.
- Alternatively, it has a joey in it.
- Downplayed: Joey has no pouch, yet is greyish-blue in color, a trait of female kangaroos (assuming Joey is a red kangaroo by species).
- Joey is a hermaphrodite.
- Alternatively, he's actually part of a kangaroo-like alien race whose males have pouches.
- Inverted: Both male and female are pouchless.
- Subverted: Joey is actually a female who just acts masculine; everyone presumes her to be a male.
- Double subverted: Joey actually is a pouched male; not wanting to be made fun of because of it, he convinces everyone that he's actually a manly female.
- Zig Zagged: Joey was born female but had a sex-change operation, and never had the pouch removed. However, his brother was born male and has a pouch. And their other brother doesn't.
- Averted: Only the female kangaroos have pouches.
- Enforced: "Pouches are cool."
- Lampshaded: "Why do I have a pouch, anyway? I'm pretty sure I'm a male!"
- Invoked: Joey's pouch was surgically implanted, or resulted from him taking female hormones.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: A mad scientist makes a race of kangaroos, but explicitly makes sure that the males don't have pouches.
- Discussed: "I thought that kangaroo was the little joey's mom, but it turns out it's his dad."
- Conversed: "Isn't it weird when books have male kangaroos with pouches? What's the deal with that?"
- Deconstructed: Joey is a male kangaroo with a pouch. Biologists notice this and capture him for and force him into an exhausting scientific study.
- Reconstructed: One of the scientists is Jane Goodall, who, despite being an expert on chimpanzees and having not a lot do do with kangaroos, takes an interest in Joey and treats him nicely and eventually sets him free.
- Played for Laughs:
- Joey "cross-dresses" by putting on a fake pouch.
- Alternatively, he uses his pouch as a pocket.
- Played for Drama: Joey undergoes a female-to-male sex-change operation, but something goes wrong during the surgery, so that the pouch can't be removed without serious negative effects.
Back to Animal Gender Bender