Playing With: Ancient Tradition
Basic Trope: An ancient, powerful secret group with a tradition of passive observation, helping destined heroes, or guarding some object of power.
Back to Ancient Tradition
- Straight: The Assassins have been covertly aiding those who fight The Knights Templar, an Ancient Conspiracy which secretly manipulates the world for their own nefarious goals.
- Exaggerated: The Assassins have been covertly aiding absolutely everyone who fights any sort of Ancient Conspiracy, from the foes of The Knights Templar to the foes of The Grey to the foes of Microsoft.
- Downplayed: The Assassins have been just aiding the Communist revolutionaries and the American revolutionaries.
- Justified: Both the Assassins and The Knights Templar possess powerful artifact from The Precursors, so only the Assassins can ever hope to challenge The Knights Templar.
- Inverted: The Assassins are an Ancient Conspiracy secretly ruling the world.
- Subverted: The Assassins seems to aid the heroes against an Ancient Conspiracy, but later the heroes find out that the Assassins only do it because they are also an Ancient Conspiracy.
- Double Subverted: ... which prevents a more terrifying Ancient Conspiracy backed by the Elder Gods from ever becoming effective on Earth.
- Parodied: Assassin Kebab, a secret fast-food chain which oppose the operations of Templar Tacos, another secret fast-food chain.
- Zig Zagged: One day The Assassins act as a Big Good, the other day they act as a Big Bad, for reasons only known to their top tier.
- Averted: There is no conspiracy, good or evil. Guaranteed.
- Enforced: "When you look at it closely, there is no way the heroes can win against the Big Bad and his shadow empire. Let's make it fair without making the heroes invincible."
- Lampshaded: "so now we are fighting The Knights Templar huh? I sure hope some Middle-Eastern ninjas will pop out of nowhere to save our arses."
- Invoked: The heroes appeal to the Assassin's ethics, hoping that the legendary group will come to his aid.
- Exploited: A Magnificent Bastard, having found out about the important alliance between the heroes and the Assassins, decides to masquerades as one of the shadowy figures in order to lead the good guys into a trap. If it works: No more heroes. If it fails: The seed of paranoia and distrust will eventually destroy their alliance.
- Defied: President Evil, aware and well informed about the Assassins' agenda, forms a specialized squad to counter them, The Reapers.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: After existing for so long and encompassing so many people, Ancient Tradition is no longer unified but composed of many conflicting factions; the passive helpers, the active helpers, those that insist on traditional practices and those that want to create new practices to fit the age, and people that are born to it but don't want to be part of it.
- Reconstructed: Though there are many factions within the Ancient Tradition they are unified by its core purpose of opposing the Knight Templars and proceed in thew ay they believe is best.
- Played For Laughs: The Assassins protect the world from the secret of... the recipe for world's most delicious sushi. The World Is Not Ready.
Back to Ancient Tradition