Playing With: All Germans Are Nazis
Basic Trope: German characters being portrayed as Nazis in the future, the past, or in fantasy universes.
Back to All Germans Are Nazis
- Straight: In a Time Travel show Frederick The Great, The Red Baron, Erich Honecker, Chairman Schultz, and Walther Ivermann all exhibit distinct Nazi mannerisms.
- Every single German in the history of ever is portrayed as a longcoat-wearing, goose-stepping, Jew-hating, Card-Carrying Villain.
- All Germans, even those with a single atom of German ancestry, are Hitler. Not just resembling, but exactly.
- Eisenhower, Winston Churchill, Nimitz, J. R. R. Tolkien, King George VI, most of the troops in the British, American, Canadian, New Zealander and Australian armed forces, and a good number in the Indian army all have German ancestry. As do many in the Red Army. Therefore all are exactly like Hitler. As is every citizen of Austria, every citizen of Switzerland, every citizen of Liechtensten and a good number of the citizens of Israel.
- Theodoric the Ostrogoth was a Nazi. One and one half thousand years before World War II. And he carried a swastika with him when conquering Rome. So was Charlemagne. So were most of Charlemagne's enemies.
- Even Amish are Nazis as they have German ancestry.
- Downplayed: The German regime and it's leader are vaguely authoritarian Twenty Minutes into the Future, but not associated with Nazis in any way.
- Historical figures are replaced by time-travelling Nazis trying to Make Wrong What Once Went Right.
- The scenes during World War II are set inside a secret village, where only members of the Nazi Party are allowed in.
- The story is about a Nazi propaganda project associating every famous person of German ancestry with Naziism.
- Even from 1933 to 1945, there are no Nazis.
- All Germans embody a different ridiculous stereotype: Oktoberfest 24/7. Beer and polka for everybody!
- Germany is the only country portrayed in the work as not having Nazi attitudes.
- Subverted: German leader in The Future looks and sounds like a Nazi, but it's only a prank to scare the time-travelers.
- Double Subverted: But he's then overthrown by an actual Nazi.
- Parodied: Our protagonists go to Germany. All the Germans they meet seem to be over-the-top Nazis, and they accept this as just the way Germans are - and then the camera pans out to show that they never left America and somehow wandered into a neo-Nazi rally.
- Zig Zagged: The German character often switches between acting like a Nazi and being offended by being treated like one.
- Germans both in the past and in the future are portrayed appropriately, without any references to Nazis.
- During Nazi rule, some Germans are portrayed as either outright defiant or less than sympathetic to the regime. Or indeed, as apathetic.
- Enforced: The work was made in 1946, or is a throwback to that era.
- Lampshaded: "Herr Bismarck?" "Ja?" "...You're wearing a swastika armband. What. The. Fuck."
- Invoked: "Let's go to a German neo-Nazi rally; it'll look like all Germans are Nazis."
- Exploited: Bob the Sleazy Politician has Sam the equally sleazy PR agent remind people of Germany's Nazi past because his government is competing with modern Germany for political prestige in the EU and wants a propaganda advantage.
- Defied: "Let's only meet the least stereotypical Germans possible."
- Discussed: "We're in 1930s Germany: All Germans we'll see will be Nazis."
- Conversed: "These guys are great, why does everyone think they're Nazis?"
- A German character suffers terrible prejudice on account of his nationality, because everyone thinks he's a Nazi.
- Due to media overload, all countries in the world begin to assume that Germany is full of Nazis. They institute economic sanctions against Germany strongly resembling those instituted after WWI. The entire nation of Germany figures that if they're going to be accused of being Nazis, they might as well be Nazis.
- But he actually is a Nazi in secret and occasionally shows it.
- All media depicting Germans as Nazis is owned and created by a German Nazi, making the whole plan Shaped Like Itself.
Back to All Germans Are Nazis