Playing With: Alien Catnip
Basic Trope: An alien gets high on a mundane substance.
Back to Alien Catnip
- Straight: Alice gets high on vinegar.
- Exaggerated: Alice gets high on water and oxygen.
- Downplayed: Alice gets pleasurable sensations from vinegar, but not to the point of intoxication.
- Justified: Alice has Bizarre Alien Biology.
- Subverted: Alice is given vinegar for this reason, but it doesn't work.
- Double Subverted: ...because Alice has some weird recessive gene, and it would work like that on anyone else of her species.
- Parodied: Alice gets high on fine wine and lobster, but doesn't think to mention it until she happens to attend a banquet.
- Zig Zagged: Alice drinks vinegar and gets high, but it is revealed this was just an act. Later she eats cinnamon and gets high, but only because she has a special condition that makes this effect only in her, not the rest of her species. Another alien mentions that Jello is what really gets to them.
- Averted: Alice gets high only on human drugs and nothing else.
- Enforced: The main characters need a clue that Alice is not as human as she seems to be.
- "Alice is acting really weird after drinking that vinegar; what is she, an alien?"
- "You know you're not supposed to drink that, right?" "...But it makes me feel all sparkly inside..."
- Invoked: Evil humans serve food with vinegar in it at a banquet, knowing that Alice will be intoxicated and no one else will.
- Exploited: Bob keeps a small bottle of olive oil on his person whenever Alice is nearby, just in case.
- Defied: Alice consciously sticks to food and drink from her own planet, knowing the possible side-effects human food may have on her.
- Discussed: "Hey, guys, do you have any vinegar around here?" "No...not since Alice moved in."
- Conversed: "Hey, look, the strangely-human alien is looking at the vinegar, I bet hijinks are about to ensue!"
- Deconstructed: Alice gets high on vinegar, and it's presented in the same way as an actual drug addiction would be, complete with disheveled appearance and damage to her brain.
- Reconstructed: Alice realizes she has a problem, attends a clinic and then from then on is able to use vinegar in moderation with the addictive side-effects.
Back to Alien Catnip