: A character, usually a tough one, is afraid of needles.
- Straight: Neal is a Made of Iron Badass that often gets beaten up and wounded in fights without problems, but he's afraid of needles.
- Exaggerated: Neal can handle any form of combat, injury, or torture without any problem, but faints if anyone even says the word "needle".
- Downplayed: Neal finds needles unpleasant, but doesn't mind them that much.
- Justified: Truth in Television: Up to 10% of adults suffer from extreme fear of injections. Also, Neal's combat injuries and their pains are suppressed with adrenaline, while the pain of a needle isn't.
- Inverted: Neal doesn't mind needles, but is also the opposite of badass.
- Subverted: Neal is afraid when he's told that Alice is going to give him an injection, but it turns out Alice is a Mad Scientist and that he's actually afraid of her experiments.
- Double Subverted: However, when the cute nurse Bailey gives him an injection, he faints.
- Parodied: Neal isn't afraid of needles unless the conditions are perfectly safe.
- Zig Zagged: Every time Neal is about to receive an injection, he's afraid, but it later turns out that he has a reason to be afraid that's not the needles themselves, such as Mad Scientist experiments, untrained doctors, etc.
- Averted: Neal isn't afraid of needles.
- Enforced: The producers want to make Neal's pains recognizable for the audience.
- Lampshaded: "Neal, you're such a badass fighter, so why are you so afraid of a little sting?"
- Invoked: The Big Bad puts Neal through a horrible Playing with Syringes session, hoping to invoke a permanent fear of needles and medical procedures.
- Exploited: The Big Bad fills his fortress with needles and Mad Scientists with needles because he knows it's Neal's worst fear.
- Defied: Neal gets help for his fear of needles.
- Discussed: "I hope my patients aren't afraid of needles."
- Conversed: "Why are all the badasses in Neal's Adventures afraid of needles anyway? I mean, they're badasses!" "Hey, be a little more respectful, it's a very real phobia in Real Life too."
- Implied: Neal is seen running screaming out of the doctor's office. The doctor tries to tell him to go back and get his vaccine, but to no avail.
- Deconstructed: Neal's extreme fear of needles causes him to avoid all medical attention. This leads to his injury or death.
- Reconstructed: When Neal's fear of needles almost gets him killed needlessly, he realizes that he needs to get help for his phobia. He does just that.
- Played For Laughs:
- Hilarity Ensues when Neal tries to get away from a vaccination.
- When Neal is afraid of needles, he makes up increasingly bizarre excuses for it.
- Played For Drama: Neal was once the victim of a Playing with Syringes Mad Scientist, but nobody in-universe takes his fear seriously, and everyone tells him to stop acting like a "big baby". This only makes his problems worse.
Back to Afraid of Needles