: One character tries to keep another character out of trouble by forbidding them to go on missions with him, which never works.
- Straight: Bob goes on a mission, and tells Alice to stay home because he thinks it's "too dangerous for a woman". She accompanies him anyway.
- Exaggerated: Bob goes on a mission, chains Alice up, locks her in her room, posts several guards out front, inserts a tracking device on her leg, and tells her to stay where she is. She still somehow gets out.
- Downplayed: Bob goes to the corner store and tells Alice not to tag along.
- Justified: Bob cares for Alice and knows that the mission could be dangerous for her.
- Inverted: Bob forces Alice to come on the mission with him, despite Alice really not wanting to go.
- Subverted: Alice follows Bob when he forbade her to do so. However, he anticipates this, and uses a teleportation device to cover his tracks.
- Double Subverted: Turns out Alice can follow Bob's teleports. Who knew?
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: Bob teleports to keep Alice from following; Alice teleports with him. However, Bob actually teleported to an airport, gets on a plane, and loses Alice...or so he thinks, until he gets on the plane and sees Alice.
- Bob doesn't care whether Alice accompanies him.
- Alice has no interest in following Bob at all.
- Enforced: "We need Alice to come along, but Bob has to be chivalrous and try to keep her safe. So Bob will forbid Alice to come, but she'll come anyway."
- Lampshaded: "I thought I told you to stay home."
- Invoked: Bob wants Alice to come on the adventure, but tells her not to in order to give her a motivation to do so.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz sends some of his minions outside of Alice's house for an ambush right after Bob leaves, knowing Alice will try to follow Bob.
- Bob doesn't want to go through this whole rigmarole, and doesn't bother telling Alice what to do.
- Alice stays home, even though Bob has no right to tell her what to do.
- Discussed: "Just stay here. This isn't like a TV show where you'll get to have an exciting adventure if you follow me anyway. This is Real Life, where you get killed."
- Conversed: "Watch this. Now Alice is going to follow Bob for little reason other than that he told her not to."
- Implied: Bob sighs and slaps his face when Alice follows him.
- Played For Laughs: Bob has to walk Alice back home at least fifteen times because he doesn't want her to come with him.
- Played For Drama: Bob murders Alice over this.
I told you to stay on the Adventure Rebuff
page. Get back there where it's safe.