: Demographics are considered worthy of scorn.
- Straight: Lance of Troperville is a minor character who has an interest in technology and happens to suffer many misfortunes in the series which the author intended.
- Exaggerated: The author creates Lance, a character who is interested in technology; the author intends for him to be treated horribly by every other character (even his own friends and family) and everything bad happens to him.
- Downplayed: Lance has an interest in technology, and is teased a few times because of it.
- Justified: Lance belongs to an objectively distasteful group of people who would be difficult or impossible to treat sympathetically.
- Inverted: Unacceptable Targets
- Subverted: Midway through the book, Lance calls out the other townspeople on their casual mistreatment of him. They stand around looking uncomfortable and ashamed.
- Double Subverted: ...that is, until he goes too far with his Shaming the Mob speech, and they resume their casual abuse with renewed glee.
- Parodied: Lance's character design includes a target strapped to his back.
- Zig Zagged: Lance and his brother Hiro both show an interest in technology, but while Lance is ridiculed by other characters because of that, Hiro is universally well-liked for the same thing.
- Averted: The author doesn't ridicule anyone of certain demographics whatsoever.
- The author hates (or otherwise considers ridiculous) whatever demographic Lance is supposed to represent.
- Lance's demographic is very unpopular with the readers, for whatever reason; the author would draw ire for casting them in a positive or sympathetic light.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: The author wants to include a certain demographic he's not fond of in his own work.
- Exploited: "Hey, let's go pick on Lance! We don't have to worry about any payback anyway, the author hates him."
- Defied: The author may not be fond of the demographics, but chooses not to mock them.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "The author would never stop being a dick towards the demographic because he loves to feed his pathetic ego."
Back to Acceptable Targets