: A couple that is apart from one another ends up breaking up. Infidelity is often (though not always) involved.
- Bob returns to find that Alice has actually married Charles.
- Alice has affairs with several men...and maybe some women.
- Downplayed: Alice shares a kiss with Charles while Bob is gone, but feels guilty and remains faithful until Bob returns.
- Alice has heard that Bob was K.I.A.
- Alice has some time to think things over, and she believes it won't work (or Bob believes this, or both), and she sends him a breakup letter or email.
- Alice and Bob have agreed that during their separation, their relationship will be an open one.
- Inverted: The longer Bob is away from Alice the more she wants him and no one else.
- Subverted: It's a struggle but Alice waits patiently and faithfully for Bob to return home.
- Double Subverted: But Alice misses companionship so much that she sleeps with Charles but tells her self that it means nothing because she was lonely.
- Alice excuses herself to the bathroom. When she comes back, Bob is married to another woman.
- When Bob is on a business trip, Alice sleeps with every single man in town.
- Lampshaded: "You cheated on me while I was gone?!"
- Enforced: Rule of Drama
- Invoked: Bob is away, and Alice is feeling lonely (and horny) one night...and meets up with Charles.
- Defied: Alice wants to remain faithful to Bob, so she resists Charles' sexual advances.
- Exploited: Charles sees this as the opportunity to finally have Alice.
- Discussed: "Do long-distance relationships always end with one or both partners cheating?"
- Conversed: "Some couples can manage it, others can't."
- Deconstructed: Alice and Bob contact each other as much as they can and strengthen their bond any way they can. They also exercise enough willpower to not be led into the temptation to cheat.
- Reconstructed: Eventually that willpower fails after their frequent contact leads to them becoming disenchanted with eachother and suffering a string of arguments, and they agree to break up and move on to happier relationships.
Quick! Return to Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder
before it starts cheating on you with That Other Wiki