"This kicks ass!"
Chef: "Hello there, children!"South Park
is an arcade pinball game
produced by Sega Pinball
in 1999. It proved to be the last pinball game released by Sega before the pinball division was sold to Gary Stern and reformed as Stern Pinball
As one would expect, the game is based on the infamous animated show
from Trey Parker and Matt Stone
, and brings with it the show's notorious Toilet Humor
, foul language,
and obscene attitudes. Help Stan kiss Wendy, retrieve Mr. Hankey for Kyle, give Cartman an anal probe, recruit the kids for Chef's football team, and kill Kenny repeatedly. Hit Mr. Hankey to start multiball, then flush pinballs down the toilet for the jackpot — and be prepared to save the townsfolk in case of unexpected volcano eruptions.
The consensus among pinball players is that South Park
is an easy and unbalanced game whose primary appeal is the license. Unfortunately, that also worked against the game in many locations — even with the objectionable elements toned down, many family-friendly establishments refused to carry the game (or drew the ire of angry parents when they did), while patrons at adult-oriented venues were hesitant to play a game based on a cartoon
. As a result, fans of the game often use the terms "overlooked" and "underrated" to describe it.
This pinball game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Adjustable Censorship: The game's profanity level could be set to either "PG-13" or "G-rated". The latter replaced the offensive names and voice clips with inoffensive ones, and changed the end-of-game match sequence to a belching contest. There were also decals for covering up the offensive playfield art, such as Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo.
Stan: "They killed Kenny!"
- Anal Probing: Cartman's mode.
- Anti-Frustration Feature: If you play poorly on the first two balls, the Extra Ball is lit at the start of the third.
- Big Brother Bully: Kyle to Ike.
Ike: "Don't kick the baby!"
- Bowdlerise: Mildly; the original version of the game software (see Video Mode, below) included more offensive language than what appears in the final product, such as "bitch". Comedy Central demanded the change soon after the game's release.
- Catch Phrase: But of course.
Stan: "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!"
Kyle: "You bastard!"
- Dummied Out: Probably the only reason this is known for it's infamous Protoype, which had a... Certain event begging for people to know for its very existance. Link is somewhat NSFW.
- Fat Bastard: Cartman.
- Jerk Ass: Cartman, of course.
- Match Sequence: Terrance and Phillip fart out several numbers (contained within bubbles), and one of them eventually pops to reveal the match pair.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Mr. Hankey.
- Skill Shot: Hit the target below Mr. Hankey for 5 million (or more) points.
- Take That, Audience!: Pressing Start without any credits prompts the game to quip
"Come on! Even Kenny's family has a quarter."
- Toilet Humour: Lots, such as the "Super Fart Bumpers" or Terrance & Phillip farting for the end-of-game match sequence. The playfield even has a toilet where Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo pops out of.
- Video Mode: The game originally had a "Carpet Munching Race" Video Mode. As Stan, the player competed against Cartman to see who could munch carpet faster and impress Ms. Ellen as the bigger Lesbian. It was disabled soon after the game's release at the insistence of Comedy Central, but ROMs with it enabled are available from private sellers.
- Wizard Mode:
- The sub-Wizard Mode is "Spooky Vision", and is available if you start all five characters' modes but fail to complete all of them. This is a five-ball multiball where the objective is to hit each character's shot a number of times.
- If all five missions are completed, "Volcano" is available, another five-ball multiball where the goal is to save the town from an erupting volcano. Hit 15 lit shots (worth 10 million each) to save the town and reap a 60 million bonus.