"Feel the Power!"
Commander: "Attack the castle! Commence firing! Fire at will!"Big Guns
is a 1987 pinball
game designed by Mark Ritchie
and Python Anghelo
and released by Williams Electronics
Taking place in a medieval future, the King Tyrant is holding the Queen hostage. It's up to the Queen's military forces to storm the King Tyrant's castle and rescue the Queen. But to successfully storm the castle, they would have to be granted invincibility powers.Big Guns
's notable features include two catapults (the cannons) that shoot the ball into the air and into the habitrail, and a taller-than-normal backbox, which houses a bagatelle mini-game (the King's Chamber).
Big Guns demonstrates the following tropes:
- Anti-Frustration Features: There are three ball savers: the kickback on the left outlane, the center pop-up post between the flippers, and a diverter on the right outlane, which diverts the ball back to the right flippers.
Commander: "Get back in there!"
- BFG: The two cannons, which the Queen's military has.
- Damsel in Distress: The Queen.
- Deflector Shields: The pop-up post between the flippers serves as the military's force field.
- Doing It for the Art: The only reason this game has a taller backbox was because artist Python Anghelo insisted he needed the extra vertical space to accommodate the castle artwork.
- Evil Laugh: The King Tyrant delivers one from time to time.
King Tyrant: "Ah ha ha ha!"
- Feudal Future: Type 1 - Royals and Knights in full metal armor welding futuristic weapons.
- Invincibility Power-Up: When you're "Invincible", the center pop-up post is raised, the left kickback stays active, and the right gate diverts the ball back to the right flipper for a set amount of time. The player can still lose the ball if it drains between the flippers and the center post.
Commander: "You are invincible! Save the Queen!"
- Off with His Head!: This is how the trolls are beaten, as their heads serve as drop targets.
- Progressive Jackpot: The Queen's Rescue.
- Save the Queen: The goal of multiball.
- Skill Shot: Gently plunge the ball into castle tower to score the Tower Bonus, and it also loads the right cannon (if it isn't loaded already).
- Storming the Castle
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: The King Tyrant.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Loading the center cannon activates the King's Chamber in the backbox; fire the mini-ball and light all five shields to enable the extra ball.
King Tyrant: "She's mine now! Ah ha ha ha!"