Pimped Out Dress: Theatre
Pimped Out Dresses in Theatre.
- The dresses Amneris wears in Aida.
- Christmas Eve's wedding dress in Avenue Q.
- In the stage version of Beauty and the Beast, Belle's dress in the "Something There" number is pink and red with puff sleeves, ruffle edging on the overskirt and underskirt, and the overskirt bunched to make waves of puffs in the fabric (similar to Belle's gold dress in the movie). Her gold dress◊ is made of gauze, with white hanging sleeves, and a trimming with pink flowers.
- Several of the Cirque du Soleil shows; Alegria and La Nouba come to mind.
- The dress Mina wears when she meets the count in Drakula.
- Phaedra in Jerusalem.
- Many of the characters in Mr.Grumpy's Toy Shoppe have these, most townsfolk do, and you could probably call the dollies that.
- Queen Aggravaine's wardrobe in Once Upon a Mattress consists of dresses that are cut and decoration in outlandish ways. The princess in the story wear fancy dresses, but in pleasing styles.
- The musical The Phantom of the Opera is loaded with these.
- Takarazuka productions are rife with this, including Peacock Girl tails, even if worn by a Bifauxnen player. Just look up some shows on YouTube.
- Sarah's ballgown in Tanz Der Vampire is a red dress◊ with ruching, flower-shaped bows on the skirt, and black gauze petticoat.
- Stage revivals of White Christmas sometimes will redo the holiday dresses worn at the end◊, but others will make their own versions. The Broadway version stars out with a number that has carolers in red dresses◊ trimmed with white fur, plaid vests, fur hoods, and white fur muffs with holly at the front. The end has the Haynes sisters in two different red dresses◊, Judy in a dark red dress with beaded trimming and a gauze scarlet underskirt, and Betty wearing a satin scarlet dress with white fur trimming the neckline, tiers of white fur trimming the top of the skirt, and the skirt is ruffled below that. Both dresses have white Opera Gloves.
- Glinda wears some in the musical Wicked. There is◊ her ice blue dress with puff sleeves, lace, glitter, and the skirt cut in several wavy tiers. Then there is her pink dress with a small bustier on top, and a short skirt that is several layers of ruffled gauze.
- And when other productions do their own costumes, Glinda sometimes gets even more pimped out. In a Danish production, Glinda's bubble dress is white with Opera Gloves, a brocaded bodice, and a gauze skirt covered with white feathers.
- Elphaba's Act II dress◊ is fabulous. It's made from up to forty yards of fabric, all stitched together onto the main black dress. And this is all just to make it look like her simple black dress has turned to rags.
- The Ziegfeld Follies were loaded with Costume Porn, including loads of ornate dresses. Of course there is a tumblr showing lots of pictures of these outfits.
- This picture◊ shows some of the range of what was done on the show. At the center are two dresses in mostly normal styles, and trimmed with flowers, ribbons, ruffles, and ruching. At the left is a more elaborate dress with a lace skirt, flowers, ruffled collar, ermine overskirt, ermine wrap with lace and flower trimming, ermine hat with ruffled bow, and an ermine muff with a large flower on the front. At the right is a really off-the-wall outfit that looks like an undergarment or swimsuit with a long ermine piece draped over it, with ermine cuffs and a huge ermine hat.
- One of the more modest dresses is this gauze dress with lace trimming◊.