Pantheon: Life & Death
Life and Death Many first-time visitors to this House expect it to be a lot more forboding than it actually is. In fact, it is quite comfortable and homey, since the vast majority of its occupants don't go in for the sort of pretentious nonsense favored by some other Houses. It's also partly because this is where mortal souls enter the Pantheon after death, and where they leave it upon being reborn. (Certain gods pass through here frequently as well.) Most of the gods of Life and Death believe in making the transition pleasant. Generally, if something is comfortable and puts people at ease, there's at least one example of it in this House. There's also people who aren't comfortable unless death isn't comfortable (hey, don't expect me to explain human psychology) so there's some of that allowed too. The House of Life and Death is also notable in that none of its resident gods directly oppose one another. Even Ryuk and Ichigo's relationship is characterized more by rivalry than by true antagonism. Some believe that this is because the deities of this House are united in their allegiance to Death. Others suggest that it is because they recognize that their shared duties are more important than personal conflicts. Still others suspect that it's simply because Head Death punishes infighting with embarrassing demotions. Which explanation a given deity believes is generally a good measure of where they fall on the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism. Due to one Artix von Krieger's obsession to smite the undead, the Gods have had to ban the Paladin from entering the House until he could control his urges. The only other way to stop him is through the use of the color pink but no self-serving god of Death would go that far.
open/close all folders
- Life And Death Overdeities
- Life And Death Greater Gods
- Life And Death Intermediate Gods
- Life And Death Lesser Gods
- Life And Death Demigods And Quasideities
The Overseers of Life and Death
Death of the Endless
Death of the Endless, Anthropomorphic Personification of Death
- Overdeity (The Anthropomorphic Personification of Death)
- Symbol: A silver ankh.
- Alignment: True Neutral due to her duties, but leans toward Neutral Good.
- Portfolio: Death (obviously), Perky Goths, Personifications of Death, Complete Immortality, Beware the Nice Ones, Nice Anthropomorphic Personification, Don't Fear the Reaper, All of the Death Tropes.
- Domain: Darkness, Death, Life, Love.
- Allies: The rest of the Endless.
- Enemies: While many oppose her, they are all onesided.
- Odd Relationship With: Thanos, who is in love with her. While she is flattered by this, she treats him with as much affection as she does everyone else.
- Has a friendship with the Death of the Discworld; he has offered to "lend" her his assistance as the Reaper, along with his assistants, allowing her to take more time off of work than one day a century, which she is grateful for.
- Also gets along with Death the Horseman, though he is puzzled by her interest in humanity.
- She has an entire army of lesser Grim Reapers, including Death,The Black Racer, George Lass, The Undertaker, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Psychopomp style Shinigami, Steve, Gregg, and of course many, many little Deaths. Recently, following Ezio's ascension in place of Altair, she has made him one as well.
- Is assisting Robin in finding a way to kill Grima off for good
- Will sometimes take members of the Pantheon to the Sunless Lands to say goodbye to those that they have loved, and were unable to make their peace with before their passing.
- Nekron is plotting to overthrow her and steal her position. Thanos has sworn to destroy Nekron after discovering this plan; while she thanks him for the thought, she's not that concerned about Nekron.
- Has been asked by Finn and Jake to aid them in killing the Lich and making him stay dead. She has agreed to aid them, on the condition that he must be destroyed/killed again first.
Deus Ex Machina
Deus ex Machina (The Plot Angel)
- Symbol: The final page of a book, with the words: "And they lived happily ever after" on it.
- Alignment: Neutral Good
- Portfolio: Happy Endings, Golden Endings (Much less common), giving Butt Monkeys a chance
- Domain: Good, Rescue, Divinity
- Allies: Every hero ever...
- Enemies: Diabolus Ex Machina
- Is the natural enemy of Diabolus Ex Machina, preventing the latter from ending things badly.
- Despises Big Brother, Griffith, Yuuki Terumi (Who doesn't?), and Nyarlathotep with a passion as they present the destruction of hope and good. Nyarly cares less about Deus, given that he can screw her over.
- Admires Madoka Kaname and Good Gods of the House of Friendship for representing hope.
Diabolus Ex Machina
Diabolus Ex Machina (The Plot Reaper)Oh, and for everyone's information, the Patron Saint of Ineffectual Death Threats is over by the House of Calmness. Best not to bother looking for him here...
- Symbol: A black curtain, falling for all eternity
- Alignment: Neutral Evil (Diabolus is an asshole)
- Portfolio: Twist Downer Endings, Shooting the Shaggy Dog, Making Bad Situations Much Worse, Nietzsche Wannabes, Belief That True Art Is Angsty, Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives
- Domain: Darkness, Death, Sadness, Suffering
- Allies: Shinji Ikari, Mark Meltzer, the various incarnations of Death, Monokuma, Acnologia
- Opposed by: Flonne, Sora Naegino, Tohru Honda, Deus ex Machina
- The Evil Twin of the Lord of Nightmares, and an emissary of Death of the Endless. Whenever Death needs souls to reap, Diabolus pulls the strings to ensure things end in the worst way possible.
- Allegedly has a Ho Yay-filled relationship with Shinji Ikari. Despises eternally positive characters like Flonne, Tohru Honda and Sora Naegino, and is looking for ways to break them to show them that all hope is hopeless.
- Diabolus has recently revealed that he watches Gilgamesh, Bokurano, and Space Runaway Ideon religiously. Hmm...
- Mark Meltzer betrayed his fellow Big Daddies in exchange for Diabolus sparing his daughter Cindy. As a result the poor man is now a bound servant to the Dark Curtain and can never see his daughter again.
- Is proud of Acnologia, because he never fails to screw up some schmuck's day whenever he touches down on the Pantheon.