- According to Word of God, A:TLAR will also display the similarities held between Deuteragonist Katara and Azula, as the original series did with its protagonists (Zuko and Aang).
- The fanfic The Masks We Wear has Zuko becoming just like his sister, and as a result gains his father's approval, his sister's affection, and his throne at the price of becoming a Noble Demon.
- In Winter War, Urahara notes that he and Mayuri are really very similar in their desire for knowledge for its own sake, and that the only thing that keeps him from performing Mayuri's experiments is that, unlike Mayuri, he likes people and wants them to like him back.
- A Protector's Pride has Byakuya say this about Ichigo and Yamamoto despite their dislike of each other. Both will fight viciously for their beliefs, goals and True Companions. Byakuya however notes that this must hurt Yamamoto more since Ichigo might remind him of his younger self but years of compromise and dealing with the (corrupt and xenophobic) Central 46 made him Lawful Stupid whereas Ichigo didn't cave in despite Yamamoto acting like a Obstructive Bureaucrat to him.
- In Operation: There Is No Operation KND Supreme Leader Numbuh 362 and Father are imprisoned together and Father uses the situation to deliver a mock-sympathizing Break Them by Talking about how a Supreme Leader is Not So Different from a parent.
"But what do kids know of strain, anyway? They don't know a thing. They just play all the time. Even their work is play. Not like your work. Your work... is work. Isn't it?"
- Invoked during the second, final duel between Rainbow Dash and Gilda in Ace Combat The Equestrian War. Bonus points for resembling a confrontation between Cipher and "Solo Wing" Pixy.
Gilda: Can you not feel this bond between us? You and I are opposite sides of the same coin. We are naturally born warriors.Rainbow Dash: Maybe. But even if there is a resemblance between us, we’ll never face the same direction. At least not like this, G!
- Apprentice notes that Sasuke and Mecha Sally are similar in terms like going insane with power, The Dragon for the Big Bad after going to the dark side, having a family of parents and older brother, whom they're trying to kill, killed own master, and trying to destroy their own former hometown.
- Also, he tries this with Monkey Khan since they have a need for revenge.
- In "A Study In White", Sherlock Holmes and Bram Stoker are captured by a plasmavore who is addicted to the blood of alcoholics. Despite the deadly danger he's in, Holmes empathizes with her addiction and pleads with her to let his friends help her.
- In the Primeval/Simpsons fanfic Camp Scare Abby realises, due to her traumatic childhood, she's Not So Different from the children she was being a snarky Jerk Ass to.
- In Connecting The Dots Hinata finds a kindred spirit in Lois Lane while Lois describes Superman in a way Hinata finds familiar. Readers also get to see that Superman and Naruto are also not that different during Lois' description of Superman.
Lois: "He just has...something inside him that compels him to help people."
- Robin is Sasuke minus the need for revenge.
- In An Entry With A Bang!, it is noted that Clancy-Earth and ComStar actually have some rather similar goals.
- Connection has the example of Lirin and Ayaka having similarities between themselves.
- Justice League of Equestria:
- Mare of Steel: Trixie tries pulling this on Rainbow Dash when they run into each other in Seaddle, saying they're both arrogant braggarts. Rainbow Dash shoots this down.
- Princess of Themyscira: Ares says this about himself and Athena, pointing out how they both manipulate the mortal realm to their own ends.
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero Kyon realizes this and mentions it to Wataru as both want to protect their loved ones, in particular each one's sister.
- Lecture for Moo Moo has Woody admitting to Moo Moo that she is going to a similar case to Lotso as both of them are abandoned by their owner by accident, not going back to them, and they're oblivious to the fact that they're the abandoners, not their respective owners. He successfully convinces her not to become like Lotso.
- Lampshaded in Of Gods And Men when Dumbledore tells Light and Mikami all about Voldemort:
Light: He wants to rule this world?Dumbledore: Alas, my boy, it is very common that power corrupts. And Voldemort has dabbled deeply in Dark Magic, and gained much power.Mikami: But why does he want to rule? Is it for a just reason?
- Reconciliator of Empire City has Cole pointing this out to Kitty as both of them worked under the shadows of an Evil Mentor and can't let go of their hate on them.
- Renamon Who has Valmont admitting to Rika they're so alike. Both of them are rich, have a spoiled attitude. That second statement reminded him when he was once a kid and still has it as an adult. Neither of them treat their non-human partners right; as a result, they lose them. As much as Rika said she doesn't need Renamon and that she hates Digimon, Valmont shares those same feeling with Shendu. When Rika tries to deny those, she eventually realizes Valmont is right; she has become like him.
- Similar Case: Vegeta admits that he isn't too different from Eas. Both of them are cold and stubborn, trying to prove their worthiness to their bosses, trying their best in defeating their rivals who are always stupid, grinning, and carefree, and losing their cool when they showed them to be better than themselves. After her battle with Cure Peach, she finally understands that she is not so different from him after all.
- To Kill A Thief has this case with Light Yagami and Miyako Toudaiji as both of them are amateur detectives who want to make the world a better place by killing.
- Two Similar People, a crossover fanfiction between Sakura Wars V and Final Fantasy XIII, has the case of how the two sisters in those works find a similarity to each other.
- In When There Was A Tomorrow, Shepard and his crew can't help but see an uncomfortable number of parallels between The Illusive Man and Dr. Halsey, and several of his teammates seem to be losing respect for him for siding with her, maintaining loyalty only because Shepard thinks she's their only ticket home.
- Kage: Raythor notes that Jade is more noble than the other Knights, even comparing her to the Guardians (though due to their Good Is Not Nice attitude towards her, she denies it).
- Jade mentally compares Raythor and Tohru at one point.
- Raythor and Frost both compare Caleb to Cedric when the former gives a speech about the means being taken to hunt down Phobos' remaining loyalists.
- In the Future Diary/Puella Magi Madoka Magica crossover All For You, we learn that both Homura and Yuno would do anything to be reunited with Madoka and Yuki, respectively. Kazumi learned the hard way.
- MLP Next Generation: Know Fear!: When an enraged Starburst attacks the griffon capital in order to end the war, she rampages through the city before confronting Emperor Stratus himself. After she overpowers and prepares to kill him, he decides to gloat about how she's proven him wrong about ponies being weak, since she's just as bloodthirsty as a griffon. This snaps her out of it, as she realizes he's right, and decides to just arrest him for war crimes. And then Nox/Shadow Wing kills him anyway, to make him a martyr.
- In Necessary To Win, Maho and Teru both put on facades and do tankery for different reasons than their mothers want them to do it, even if their motivations in other regards greatly contrast. As a result of the latter similarity, Maho is able to see through Teru's Stepford Smiler act in their first meeting.
- The Equestrian Wind Mage: Vaati is only convinced to give Discord a chance at redemption when it's pointed out how similar Vaati's own situation is.
- In Depravare Kira and Righteous (Light and L) have always readily accepted this about each other and are offended when Near doesn't get it, he doesn't want to see Kira as anything but an evil mass murderer and his mentor as anything less than a saint.
- The fanfic Story Of The Century and several of its companion 'shots hammers this point several times, particularly at the end when Original Character Erin tears L a new one before she leaves him.
"You make me sick. Both of you. You're just like him. You call yourself justice...but all I see i-is a monster, a-a pathetic hypocritical brat who makes up whatever sounds good at the time so you always have an excuse to do whatever you want. You made that abundantly clear when we were messing with Yotsuba; I just made the mistake of thinking that you could move past that. This wasn't about saving anybody, this was just about satiating your fucking egos. I don't care if you're the world's greatest detective and I don't care if you've got your own goddamn screensaver; to me you're just one of the stupidest most over-glorified self-entitled bastards I'll ever meet! You and him! Fucking stupid bastards!"
- Earlier, she points out to Light and Misa, "You've turned into the same monsters you say you're fighting." Light dismisses her accusations, Misa says essentially that if becoming a monster gets the job done, then so be it.
- In the Tamers Forever Series, despite being enemies, both Daemon and Takato draw strength from their emotions.
- Also, Rika and her mother aren't quite as different as they first appear.
- In The Power To Vanquish The Dark Lord Harry inadvertently does this when deliberately invoking Draco in Leather Pants by making a list of a certain someone's positive qualities and only those qualities:
Harry: What do you think? If you knew just this about a person, what would you say they were like?Ron: Er... is it Hermione?Hermione: No, it's Voldemort.
- In Wand, Knife and Silence Theodore Nott tried to pull this on Harry. Harry countered with the rejoinder that Nott killed for pleasure while he killed when there was no peaceful alternative.
- Some Semblance of Meaning: After allying himself with Vale , Obsidian confesses his concerns that, despite calling himself "not the ideal Career," he isn't so different from the rest of the pack at all. His fellow District One tribute, Amber, throws this in his face later, as she's giving him a cutting "Reason You Suck" Speech.
- In the Uplifted series, it is an overall theme of the stories. To the average grunt, the World War II wasn't that different irregardless of who you fought for, as seen during the Invasion of Malta with Rommel's troops. Seen particularly in Skorzeny and Churchill.
- When Celestia and Discord meet each other again for the first time in Act II of the Legends of Equestria continuity, it's because Celestia is summoning Discord's magic to make herself more powerful. Moreover, Discord reveals to her that he was once a unicorn like her, before he accepted dark magic as a way to get his life back.
- In Act IV, Discord reveals that he is in fact Celestia's great-great-great-grandfather.
- Racer and the Geek has a moment when Telny, a veteran, realizes that he's not that much different than Goggles, a greenhorn.
- Rainbooms and Royalty: Just before the Final Battle, as part of her pitch, Nightmare Moon pulls this on Rainbow Dash, saying that she knows what it's like to have one's self and achievements overlooked in favor of another. Dash, however, doesn't buy it.
- In All-American Girl, despite being raised as a human and not a pony, DJ clearly shares a temper and obstinacy with her biological mother Rarity that is all too-well noted by just about everyone/everypony who knows either of them.
- Hit and Hug has Rainbow Dash admitting that she's not too different from Fluttershy since both of them are arrogant and realize the error of their ways to make amends with their friends.
- In Diaries of a Madman, Celestia discusses this with Navarone, when she compares his growing darkness to the path Arachne went down, as well as her own experiences. She also notes that as much as he likes to pretend otherwise, as a human he does have more in common with ponies than he'd like to admit.
- Bad Future Crusaders:
- The rather odd Team Gai (Naruto, Hinata, Lee) from Geniuses of Hard Work puts three Determinator's who are considered weak for being differenr with two being considered "dead-last".
- The reason why the team of Hinata, Naruto and Shino from Team8 is so popular. All three are discriminated/hated/mistreated in some form which leads to a rather close-knit team.
- In the oneshot story Like Me, it is Orochimaru who tells Sakura and others that Naruto is more like him than anyone could think of. People scoff it off at first but as he goes on into details, it becomes startling clear that Naruto is similar to him.
- Used by Orochimaru in Nightingale as part of how he brainwashes people.
- Evangelion 303: After Shinji has told her about his childhood, his mother’s death, his uneasy relationship with his father and his father’s lover and how little he likes being around Dr. Akagi, Asuka reflects that they are not very different:
- The Second Try:
- In the last scene Shinji admits he finally understands his father a bit, since when he thought Asuka was dead he almost started the Instrumentality right on the spot. And he would have done if Asuka would have not reached him in time.
- Kaworu taunts Asuka stating maybe she knows him better than she admits.
- In the Portal 2 fanfic Test Of Humanity, GLaDOS uses this to torture Wheatley by telling them they're no different from one another.
"Oh, but it's true. Face it, moron core, you are nothing but a cold, heartless, sadistic, unloving machine. Just like me. You may look human. You may sound human. You may act human. But that's only because I wanted to see how long a robot could live a lie. You're more like Hal than you want to admit. You're more like me than you want to a-"
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Solvernia, Nia undergoes through a small Heroic BSOD in the beginning, after realizing that the beastmen are people just like she and other humans are. It's part of her inner conflict to protect herself and her friends and trying to make peace with the beastmen.
Nia: I don't understand... if they're like us, then they wouldn't have any reason to hate us, would they?