for nightmare fuel related to the Peter Jackson films The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- Far from being bumbling and slow witted like in the Peter Jackson film, the trio of trolls are actually cunning and intelligent, as they instantly pick up on the fact that if Bilbo was there, then he'd have company. Heavily implied with their last conversation, they had a pretty good idea of what they were cooking and just arguing about the method, the worst being eaten "raw". Only by Gandalf's intervention, that the company was spared.
- Gollum, both in appearance and Brother Theodore's voice work. Until Andy Serkis came along and made the character his own, he was the definitive Gollum, and some fans say still the creepiest.
- The goblins' first appearance when they appear to be getting closer and closer in the dark.
- The "Riddles in the Dark" music.
It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt, it lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills, it comes first and follows after, ends life, kills laughter. The answer is dark. The dark. Dark...
- The spiders of Mirky Wood are bat faced Ax-Crazy fiends that cocoon and then eat their victims alive, especially creepy with their big blue, pupil-less eyes.
- While Smaug's appearance is silly, when he goes berserk, he is quite frightening for sure!