Nightmare Fuel: The Baby-Sitters Club
- Claudia sits for a family in which the husband abuses the kids. After Claudia and her mother rescue the children and their mother, Claudia gets a phone call late at night. It's the abusive father, wailing at her to give him back his children.
- In one of the early books, a serial thief was breaking into houses in nearby towns, making calls to prospective targets and instantly hanging up if anyone answered. The club starts getting calls where the caller hangs up once they answer, and later in the book, Claudia's babysitting and realizes that there's a prowler outside. It's one of the guys from her class, being a moron, and the calls were from another guy who couldn't work up the courage to ask her out, but it's a pretty Adult Fear-ridden situation.
- Additionally, Kristy accepts the date invitation from the guy making the hang-up calls. It's a very Family-Unfriendly Aesop, especially considering the young and impressionable demographic the books appeal to. This isn't "cute" behavior that's okay because the guy's in love, this is flat-out creepy and scary behavior that still results in the guy getting the girl he's chasing.
- The whole main conflict of "Baby Sitters' Island Adventure", imagine in real life two 13 year olds and their younger charges were stranded on an island? Then a preschool-aged child comes down with a high fever?
- Then Dawn's brother Jeff (both are stranded) theorizes they could be in Nova Scotia for all they know and another charge refers to the book Baby Island.
- And Dawn and Jeff's mother being terrified that even if the kids are found alive, her ex will sue for custody because of the whole incident. When you consider how many perfectly decent and good parents have lost custody for less, it's a very legitimate fear.
- Mallory narrowly avoided getting shipwrecked since she said her family has plans to go on a trip.
- Stacy and the Haunted Masquerade is far scarier than most of the mysteries in that the villain is a legitimate escapee from a mental institution who is revenge-crazed.