Nightmare Fuel: Rose of Versailles
An old shoujo that is very intense in the Tear Jerker fields, but isn't necessarily a slouch in the scary ones.
- The death of King Louis XV of smallpox in chapter 9, which eventually leaves him with rotting skin and parts of his skull becoming exposed, while he was still alive!
- The scene in chapter 10 where a duke shoots a child in the back after he stole some money from him. And they don't cut away, you see it all. Especially jarring considering the cute shoujo style of the manga.
- Charlotte becoming the Creepy Child version of The Ophelia. Even before she threw herself off a tower, the whole scen was completely heartbreaking as well as really scary.
- In episode 26, Andre goes through Eye Scream via the still not Heel-Face Turn-ed Bernard. The imaginery in the anime (Bernard uses his sword to slash through Andre's mask and eye) may not be at the level of modern horror manga, but it's still unpleasant enough to make you wince. Not helped by Andre screaming, then collapsing to the ground and whispering "M-my eyes...", then attempting to reach for Bernard as Oscar screams...
- And then there's the scary squishy noise made by André´s eye as it's injured.
- And in episode 32, the sight of Dianne de Soissons's lifeless and rotting body is very tame in regards to how it would be done now, but still unpleasant to watch. Unless you can't see it... through your tears.
- In the Countess in Black gaiden, it's bad enough that Montclair is based off of Elizabetth Bathory, but it becomes hell when Caroline gets impaled by a mechanical doll! Not to mention that the clockmaker, after being forced to create the killing doll, gets his eyes stabbed.
- It gets worse in the audio drama. When Caroline is alone with the doll (she didn't know it was a doll at that time), the gears start the function and then the doll gets closer and closer to Caroline until it crushes her in a tight embrace, when spikes impale through her. Three times!
- The clockmaker explaining to Oscar and André while trapped in a dungeon about how Montclair gets blood : She lures young girls with lavish food and wardrobes, and then traps them in large, spiky birdcages, aas well as cutting them up.