Nightmare Fuel: Play-by-Post Games
Even non-professional writers are able to come up with some pretty intense scary. And some of them choose to inflict
it on us via Play-by-Post Games
- The Altered Earth: A Darker and Edgier Nanoha forum has a lot of really terrifying imagery. From Michael's origin story, to how he was possessed by the Book of Silver Dawn and what it did to Maya, and the tendencies of Ghouls and the various monsters now lording over whole areas of the world, and pretty much anything done by Baron Lou or Nicodemus.
- Wendy, a gigantic Shadow made of bulbous flesh and looking like a Lovecraftian abomination, it has twenty arms dragging it along, is grotesquely fat looking and has eight eyes. It resembles the unholy spawn of an angler fish and a jellyfish, and what it does in a fight is also nightmarish. It basically makes even more arms rip their way out of it to pull enemies to pieces. And consider it Was Once a Man, as with all Shadows, and is trapped in its current form. Permanently. And that it used to be a sweet little girl.
- Andalia: Garth from the RP gruesomely fused three children together into a Chimera. It involved a lot of fleshy bandages firing everywhere and the thing's screams...
- Camp Despair Valley: Given that it's based off a nightmare-inducing series, it's understandable that this game would feature many gory deaths. These are Chiyo, who was impaled by a huge throwing dart (her last words calling out to her mother also make it a tragic death), Yukiko, who was stabbed in the neck (which, by the way, SEVERED HIS SPINAL CORD), Aya being posioned (imagine going to sleep thinking you're going to be ok after a failed attack, but then never waking up), Heather's HORRIFIC execution (force-fed poison and then trampled to death by a Monobear army), Momoko being tortured for information she didn't have and then killed, Haruka deactivating herself only to be brought back and tortured (luckily- or unluckily- she got better), Kyuuto being strangled (the look of pure terror on his face and the fact that the killer is still unknown makes it so much worse), Liam executed for a crime he didn't commit (the fact that he was drowned while tied to a stake didn't make it any less horrifying). and now, Vanille found suffocated in her own cabin (the many cryptic messages she left behind aren't helping). At this rate, these poor kids might never see the world outside these camp gates again.
- Fate Nuovo Guerra: The Death of Yang Huang Long (read Post #19). A horrid, painful, but quick death. Got his neck pierced by the lance, then Brinhildr use her magic to set him on fire, and later he exploded. Also, right before he's burned alive, his eyeballs melted. Poor Guy. May he rest in peace.
- Magic Academy: It's already full of unsettling imagery, but Leonard's Unstoppable Rage really takes the cake. There's the inference that it happened before, that it resulted in some disturbing effects on an area, and how it usually manifests as a spell called Closed Carnage Forest, which turns every tree in an area into a weapon of either restraining or outright murder.
- Morimune High School RP: They previously had some pretty nasty transformations, but nothing was quite as disgusting as...this. A disturbing mix of Eldritch Abomination, Eyes Do Not Belong There, and Body Horror, Jae'yon's true form is nothing short of Nightmare Fuel. And what is worse is its power: it can control the blood in someone, making it bloat in one area of the skin and then rupture and let out a weapon.