Nightmare Fuel: Holes
- The description of Zero's dehydrated face in the book, especially when it's compared to a jack o'lantern. Not to forget the drooping eyes and mouth bit. *shudders*
- That moment in the movie where what might be Sam's ghost stares blankly at Stanley before fading away.
- Also a Tear Jerker.
- The Yellow Spotted Lizards:
Kate Barlow died laughing.
- When Stanley finds a hole full of them.
- The Film of the Book has Stanley have a close encounter with one when he discovers one crawling up the shower wall behind him. The thing hisses at him and begins chasing him, but just as it leaps toward Stanley, Mr. Sir shoots it dead.
- And then when he and Zero get stuck in a hole full of them.
- The way Kate Barlow dies after being bitten by one of them, oh God, the way she dies.
- The Warden, Mr. Sir, and Pendanski were willing to let the lizards bite Stanley and Zero. And after they realize that the lizards won't bite them, consider shooting them. Adult Fear, since the authorities that are suppose to protect you don't care if you were to live or die.
Twitch: Hey, look at this cool looking lizard!
- In the Camp Greenlake Survival Guide, it's implied that Twitch had an up close and personal encounter with one. The implications behind this are...unsettling.
- The scratch scar Mr. Sir gets from The Warden is quite creepy. The reason it appeared after he got scratch was because The Warden puts rattlesnake venom in her nail polish!
- Sam's lynching. It's not really elaborated on, but the implications of the time are horrific.
- The entire premise of Camp Green Lake. You're sent there as an alternative to juvenille hall. It is in a desert that has no green and a dried-up lake. Your task is to dig a hole with a diameter as wide as the length of your shovel, every day, while being watched over by abusive staff, with water at a premium, both for drinking and for showering. Every once in a while you're allowed to write back to your parents...but every letter gets screened and you have to lie about how fun the place is. No wonder the place was closed down at the end of the book.