- Shiro's death by torture.
- Harry's been tricked by Nicodemus into touching one of the cursed coins, meaning he's now got a copy of a Fallen angel in his head. He's not about to let it start him tempting him, but just as he's about to bury the coin in the floor of his lab, a voice whispers in his head. It only says Harry, but it is nonetheless extremely creepy.
- Barabba's curse. You can sentence one people to death, and that will be it although the Knights can take the victim's place, if they chose to. And it's in the hand of one of the vilest persons in the Dresdenverse.
- The plague curse. It infects the victim with almost any known illness, making "the Black Death look like chicken pox". And it spreads through air. And it's released into a very busy international airport.
- Father Forthill running down why Nidodemus is The Dreaded.
Father Forthill: Our information about him is limited. He has made it a point to find and destroy our archives every other century or so, so we cannot be sure who he is or how long he has been alive. He may even have walked the earth when the Savior was crucified...He's killed them. He's killed all of them. More than a hundred Knights. More than a thousand priests, nuns, monks. Three thousand men, women, children. And those are only the ones listed in the pages recovered from the destroyed archives. Only two Knights have ever faced him and survived.