Nightmare Fuel: Catherine
The Nightmare Fuel has appeared. It's the killer. Do not die.
- It's only been a few months since Catherine has been announced, but it's quickly making its way onto this page from trailers alone. Then again, what do you expect from a game that has nightmares as its main motif?
- People are dying in their sleep, and all of the victims are young men (one trailer shows the image of a man who lies in his bed as a dessicated, shriveled husk, his face locked in an expression of pure agony). Oh, and that Manic Pixie Dream Girl Vincent/the player meets at the bar? She's really a demon, sent to judge Vincent's worth. Choose to pursue a relationship with her, and you forsake your humanity and become a demon yourself.
- Every boss in the game counts in one way or another. Makes sense, as they are Vincent's fears and insecurities given physical form.
- The first boss is Katherine's hands, the "Fist of Grudge", (only enormous, deformed, and holding a GIANT FORK with which to skewer Vincent with). Said hands will change Normal Blocks to Heavy Blocks (which Vincent has a harder time moving) with its strikes, all the while hearing a demonic voice screaming "TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!" and "YOU WON'T GET AWAY FROM ME!"
- Any time Katherine and Catherine nearly find out about each other. The suspense is unbearable.
- The scene where Catherine and Katherine argue when they meet. Their shouting is so intense that even Vincent cringes and imagines screaming out loud!
- When Katherine stabs Catherine in the stomach. The sheer horror in her eyes, and her screams... and all that blood... yikes! It was All Just a Dream, but still.
- Late in the game, Vincent confronts Boss about the Nightmares, giving him a good sock to the face. Boss' shades fall off, revealing that he has creepy red eyes with Hellish Pupils in the shape of male and female symbols. Almost nonchalantly, Boss reveals himself as some kind of godlike creature called Dumuzid.
- As you progress in the game, you'll notice that some of the Sheep-men have gone insane, becoming larger, wielding giant axes, and have red (most likely bloodstained) wool. They are the men who have lost their lives in the Nightmare World, existing only to maim and kill other Sheep...including you/Vincent.
- If the player dies and chooses to return to the main menu (which they are forced to do if they have no Mystic Pillows left), just before they return, the player is treated to a lovely cutscene where Vincent's shriveled, desiccated corpse, face frozen in a look of utter horror, is shown in the real world.
- Heck, there's a minor nightmare fuel right before you even start a new game- one of the start screens is Vincent tied to the side of a tower with barbed wire, complete with blood, calling out for Katherine, who lounges indifferently on top of the structure.
Now's not the time to be dead!