- The Wildlife Exploitation Preserve. Just listen to the announcer.
- The slag test logs, namely the fate of Tiny Tina's parents, which is found in the above location. Uggggh...
- Lab Rats, whose eyes have mutated so that something is now visible to them, and they've been driven quite insane by it.
Witness the void.I don't want to SEE!
- Doubly so if you're playing Maya. Whatever it is they're seeing? When you Phaselock them, they see it more.
- Knock off a Goliath's helmet and enjoy the resulting Body Horror: the flesh around their head flakes off, their skull bursts from their mouth suspended on their elongated spine. That's when it starts to chase you everywhere.
"Gonna... FLOSS WITH YOUR SPIIIIIINE!!""I hate... hate... hate... HATE, HAAAAAAATE!
- And they talk to you, too:
- And then there's this.◊
- Just to show how terrifying they are to fight, they not only turn on whoever they were helping if you're not around, they get stronger for doing it. Every time he does, a musical sting plays for everyone nearby.
- The log of Taggart, a Hunter who, well, hunted the Stalkers. It all starts out funny enough but the last log:
Lo.. Lo.. Log... Entry F... F.. F.. Fi... *pause* Henry... and its spawn.. killed my crew and the sadistic bastard chewed my hands off. I could see him smile. *Another pause* .. No.. Henry! Henry! Stay back! Henry! Ahhhh! MOMMY! MOMMY! MOOOOOMMMY! MOOOOOOOOMY! *Accompanied by chewing noises*
You found Taggart’s missing chapter and, in so doing, discovered a soul-crushing truth: all the confidence in the world cannot prevent you from dying frightened and alone. But on the upside, you got PAID!
- The concluding quip of the quest doesn't help, either:
- All of the player characters have a few different noises for when they're set on fire/corroding/being electrocuted. For the original four all of said noises are varying degrees of grunting in pain. Gaige, however, doesn't grunt. She screams in pain very loudly and very realistically. You get to hear a teenage girl scream in agony every time she's hit with an elemental weapon. It's...unnerving.
- Once Handsome Jack decides to intervene directly following Angel's death, we see just how downright terrifying he can be when he's not being a petty jackass. Before, he was a smug bastard who derived joy from taking petty potshots at you, and then suddenly, Roland has a bullet in his chest and Lilith is kidnapped and tortured! It may be justified, seeing as how you helped kill his daughter, but DAMN...
- Lilith in "Angel Vision" after the game's Wham Episode. Unlike Angel, Lilith just looks like she's in agonizing pain whenever she talks to you like that. And she is, instantly regenerating in Hero's Pass from Jack, who is stabbing her, repeatedly.
- Doubles as Tear Jerking. Tiny Tina's reaction to her parents' death. The scary part? It's difficult to tell if she's crying or laughing.
- Handsome Jack, while undeniably an evil douchebag, manages to somehow be funny with his sheer mania and trolling. However, once you clear Opportunity, his smug, taunting personality suddenly becomes threatening and serious, and his dialogue from then on becomes surprisingly sinister, particular his line when he sics the BNK3R on you.
- Handsome Jack (In a completely serious, low and seething tone) Now do me a favor...and die.
- Worse is Handsome Jack's treatment of his daughter, which you learn from an audio tape in Fyrestone/Jackville. His sick, sick treatment of her...Not mention his real face. Pure Body Horror.
- Bloodwing's death scene.
- Several things Krieg says. When they say he's a Psycho, they mean it.
Krieg: I'm beginning to remember—STOP IT! Keep the memories down with a knife in its throat! Slash it until it bleeds thought juice across the dirt until it is absorbed into nothingnrrrsss...Krieg: THE SILENCE! KILL IT! I'LL FIND YOUUUU! Quiet noises, and I'll STRANGLE the whispers out of you WITH A BONESAAAAAW!"
"I AM THE ONLY ONE LEFT" "I'LL NEVER GO BACK" "DON'T MAKE ME DO IT" "CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T DO IT" "DON'T STOP PLEASE HELP ME" "NO NO NO NO NO" "WHYYYYYYYY"
- Playing as him is a strangely tragic and disturbing experience. Whoever he was before Hyperion got him is lost. He was irrevocably broken, turned into a monster by Hyperion. Krieg emerged from the experimentation as a Badass Psycho, insane with a need to kill. Krieg's former psyche was sent to the deepest depths of his soul and out of control of his own body. His other personality knows this, and has seemingly given up on ever recovering. A player rips their way across Pandora, occasionally hearing the sane part of Krieg quietly commenting on the action, in an utterly mournful voice. Being a Badass Psycho isn't as cool as it seems.
- Even the names of his skins start to tell a grim story when you piece them together.
You're going to scream just like she did. Open mouth. Open heart! Blood and noise forever piercing my skull! Poisoning me with its psychopathic, purple liquid. We watched it all. We felt the knife edge splat down the middle! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!
- Krieg's lines can be made far worse because they flip-flop between nonsensical comedy and psychotic horror with little warning, sometimes even with the same thought.
- There's a glimmer of hope in his personal intro movie, A Meat Bicycle Made for Two, however. A blue-haired, mystical tatooed, Siren-shaped hope.
- The penultimate boss battle of Assault on Dragon Keep. Having the person you've been trying to save turn out to be Evil All Along isn't exactly new, but when that person is being played by Angel, it becomes quite chilling.
Princess Angel: At last, I'm free...free to wreak my vengeance UPON ALL THE WORLD!!
- Becomes just plain sad when you realize that it's Tina who made her evil, in a desperate attempt to blame someone for Roland's death.
- And good lord is she creepy. You do not want a corrupted Drider smiling at you as she spews spiders from her body at you.
- To make things worse, Angel stated that Handsome Jack tricked the last four Vault Hunters with Angel, and Tina made Angel into a villain. In other words, Tina knew she was a danger, and Roland paid the price. Tina made Angel as she saw her as: A lure.
- Also from Assault on Dragon Keep, the first time you encounter a mimic. You've just finished cleaning up some fantasy foes, and are ready to open the nearby chest of loot OHGODWHATTHEFUCKISTHAT.
- The quest where you have to carry a midget up to the giant fake dragon and set him on fire. Sure, he's going along with it voluntarily, but still, you're basically helping a guy burn himself alive out of devotion to a goddess that you know isn't actually a goddess.
- Handsome Sorcerer in the last part of Assault on Dragon Keep. He gets so graphic that even Brick points that out.
Brick: Damn, Tina. That was graphic.Tina: Don't hate the player, hate the game.
- In fact, that WHOLE last stretch of the DLC is rigged with The Sorcerer going into gory details about what he and his soldiers are going to do with the queen! It even gives the vibe that this is timed!
- The Vault Hunters themselves from their enemies' point of view! Krieg especially!
- Axton: Imagine being part of a bandit clan and you see this military looking guy charging at you and your friends! Suddenly, he deploys this metal device which acts almost like another one of him and even worse, it seems like he's got an infinite magazine as he riddles you and your dumb friends with bullet after bullet alongside his turret! Overkill much?
- Maya: Looks can literally kill as this beautiful Siren uses her special abilities to enhance the effects of her elemental guns and lock one of your friends into a black hole as you all scream for mercy as you are being burned/shocked/dissolved to death! Death never looked so charming before!
- Salvador: Look at this idiot midget dashing into the fray shouting stupid catchphrases and giving the bird! He's nothing compared to you and your Hyperion buddies! WRONG! No matter what you do, the small guy just keeps taking it and decides to get serious by using both his hands to fire weapons! It's literally a bulletstorm as you dive for cover hoping his bullets don't pierce through you! Suddenly you hear two RPG's being fired. SHIT!!!
- Zer0: It's just another day out in Pandora. You and your clan have been out here for hours scouting the terrain and killing anyone dumb enough to give you trouble or not! Suddenly, you hear screaming as one of your members suddenly has a bullet put through his head and there's no one in sight who could have shot him. You and your team decide to investigate the reason behind this when someone randomly runs up to another one of your friends and starts attacking them. Before any of you have time to react, everyone starts dropping like flies as the sound of a sword slicing flesh is heard. As you succumb to death, you see the person who did it and it looks an awful lot like a robot or is it a ninja as it speaks in a weird fashion seemingly mocking your group. "Leaves falling from trees / Snow drifting onto the ground / Life leaving your corpse."
- Gaige: You see a young, high-school-age looking girl stroll casually towards your camp, and you think of all the terrible things you and your bandit friends could do to her. As you rush out to get her, this peppy little girl, who you notice has a robotic left arm, pulls a blue SMG and goes to town on the whole camp. She seems to get crazier and crazier as the battle goes on, firing blindly and pulling Wolverine Claws, murdering everything in sight. Eventually, her huge-ass Robot Buddy joins the fight and begins smashing everybody with gigantic claws and formidable elemental beams. In the end, it's just you and her, and the last thing you see is this sweet high school girl's tool hammer hitting your forehead.
- Krieg: So normally the various Bandits and Psychos dotting Pandora's landscape seem to get along fine, at least within certain communities. So you, a marauder, probably aren't thinking too much about the Badass Psycho roaming around The Dust at the Southern end of your camp. Until, of course, you hear the urgent shouting and pained screams coming from your buddies near the entrance. This Psycho is somehow a thousand times more resilient than your average, tissue-paper-thin specimen. He unloads lead, explosives, and a seemingly endless supply of buzzaxes into the camp's collective face, with no end in sight. You send out some Flaming Psychos to try to take him down, but the beast seems to enjoy, and even be empowered by, the flames. When he should finally be dead, he just pulls out a bundle of dynamite and runs around like a lunatic on speed, destroying everything in sight. Your own burning flesh is the last thing you smell as this impacable Psychopath breathes fire directly into your face.
- The fate of Helena Pierce, and the civilians she was escorting. We only hear it over the final ECHO recording. Jack shoots Helena dead on the spot, then casually orders Wilhelm to kill the others. It's only an audio recording, so we simply hear Wilhelm acknowledge the command and open fire — and the civilians screaming.