While the Sonic the Hedgehog
franchise has grown up
, it doesn't always show
when it comes to the writing.
See also the page for moments that are truly and intentionally funny
open/close all folders
- Sonic Adventure:
"Oh, no! Our weapons are useless! Retreat! All personnel, fall back!"
- What really pushes this into Narm territory is the fact that, upon receiving this order, the kneeling police officers calmly get to their feet and proceed to moonwalk away from Chaos.
- "Our hearts combined form awesome power!". Sure they do, Tails.
- "Watch out, you're gonna crash! AAH!" Made more ridiculous by the way his tongue sticks out at the end of that line.
- Doubly so since he does that expression a few times. Stick out spines and poke tongue out. It's almost adorable.
- While we're at it, almost every single facial expression in the game.
- There's also Knuckles' absolutely apathetic cry of "Oh no." whenever he is hit in the boss battle against him.
- Same goes for Sonic whenever you fight against him.
- The way Sonic says "No." when he dies is just as bad.
- It's even "better" if he falls into water or a bottomless pit. "NAUGH."
- Sonic half-yelling "Eeeeeeeeegmaaaaaaan" with all the passion and rage of a waitress reciting the beer menu.
- Well, he was about to fall unconscious... Still Narm, though, because "Eggman" is just a funny thing to yell no matter what.
- Tails' version of it is even funnier. He sounds like a zombie.
- Once Chaos gets the first Emerald, Sonic tells Tails "We can't let that monster get any bigger. It could get ugly!" It sounds more like he's worried about how hideous Chaos will look, rather than the danger he poses.
- "All's well that ends well, right?" Made even funnier if you've seen the Hell Fire Comms play-through of it:
Fastest Thing Alive: THE CITY'S BEEN FUCKING DESTROYED!!!!
- Let's not forget the infamous Tails line, "That's Eggman! I wonder what happened to Sonic?"
- Eggman's infamous line "Get a load of this!".
- Not to mention the "Ha ha ha, see if you can make it through here, Sonic!" line whenever he reveals his weak-point for all to see...
- Some of the lyrics to Knuckles's theme, especially this line: "You can call me Knuckles/Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle/I'd rather flex my muscles"
- The chuckling line becomes funnier if you remember how in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he chuckled a lot as he antagonized you while Sonic did no such thing.
- After completing the Sky Deck and leaving the pool in Knuckles' storyline, there is a cutscene in which Knuckles witnesses Chaos' transformation into Chaos 6 some distance away. It would be an okay scene, but for some reason the game plays his "drowning" death vocal, making it seem like he drowned in air.
- This line:
Sonic Adventure 2
- Even though Sonic Adventure 2 was made in America, the script apparently got translated to Japanese and then back into English, rendering lines that were only sometimes comprehensible, rarely synced to the mouth movements, and even overlapped each other. "He must be using the Chaos Emerald to wa...[rp]" "[My]...name is Shadow."
- Let's not forget how some of the lines were left completely untranslated.
- This exchange:
Shadow: Faker? I think YOU'RE the fake hedgehog around here! You're comparing yourself to me?! HA! You're not even good enough to be [my fake]!
Sonic: [I'll make] you eat those words!
- Worse, sometimes the overlapping was between lines spoken by the same character. "Hey. It's not his spee[d]. [H]e must be using the Chaos Emerald to war[p]."
- Then there's an instance where Eggman is supposed to cut off another character, but because of Japanese and English's different sentence structures, he reacts about a second too early.
Reporter: Mysteriously, the only thing that was stolen was th—
Eggman: The Chaos Emerald?!
Reporter: —aos Emerald.
- Speaking of that scene, the news report could have been dramatic if the reporter wasn't speaking with some kind of mix-and-match accent made from bits of Australian, cod-Canadian, and rugby-ball-up-the-arse English. The strange part is that this seems to be intentional.
- How has Sonic's finishing blow to the Egg Golem in the Dark story not been mentioned yet?
- Add to the fact that this is one of the more serious Sonic installments, and the subtitles are in Comic Sans MS.
- Tails' reaction to Sonic's (apparent) death was something of a Dull Surprise.
Tails: What have you done, to Sonic? I'll never forgive you for this.
- Before the scene above, there's the scene where Sonic tries to give the fake Chaos Emerald to Eggman. When Eggman traps him, Sonic gives out a "Whoa.", while his mouth is stretched out to comically large proportions. Even worse, the "Whoa" is the same thing he says during playtime when the player has him an inch away from falling off a cliff.
- During both Sonic and Shadow Duel Boss fights, if you're using Sonic and hit Shadow enough times, Shadow will drop these gems:
Shadow (first battle): I'm the coolest!
- To add another Adventure 2 Battle line to the mix, during the final fight of Dark (Shadow vs. Sonic), whenever Sonic falls off the edge (which will happen a lot): "I'll use your technique! CHAOS... CONTROOOooOOL!" Every. Single. Time.
- He stops himself mid-sentence most of the time. "I'll use your — CHAOS CONTROL!"
- Sounds like Sonic is throwing a Pokeball containing Chaos Control...
- In the Dreamcast version, Sonic just says "I'll use... CHAOS CONTROL!".
- "I'm not done with yo[u yet!] — SONIC WIND!
- Sonic and Shadow's second battle with each other is full of Narm, no matter which side you're playing. The equivalent to Sonic's above quote is Shadow's, "THIS IS THE ULTIMATE!"
- The above cases are rare examples in which the player is largely responsible, as Sonic and Shadow's lines ("I'll use your technique! Chaos Control!" and "This is the ultimate power!", respectively) can be cut off if the player zooms too far ahead of their rival during the utterance and subsequent Chaos Control warp, causing the dialogue to skip ahead so that the A.I. can keep up with the player.
- Before their first battle in Green Forest on the Hero side, you see Shadow jump down onto the platform Sonic's on. While it looks cool, Shadow's model does not have a mouth and has hilariously drooped down eyebrows, all while he's saying, "There's no time to play games. You won't even get the chance!", as if Shadow is a wet blanket that doesn't want Sonic to have any fun.
- The final fight with the FinalHazard. The Biolizard's merged with the Space Colony ARK to expedite its descent onto Earth, so Super Sonic and Super Shadow head out to stop it. The battle itself is epic, complete with Crush 40's Live and Learn blaring out, but the final boss itself becomes a lot more silly, since it looks more like the Biolizard has the ARK's Eclipse Cannon shoved up its arse.
- Sonic's delivery of the line, "BLOWS UP?!"
- Adding to that, in the Hero's Story, Sonic says this line, as well as the line, "I've got to find Amy and Tails right away!" with his teeth clenched. He actually moves his mouth on the Dark Story, but that doesn't excuse how he can do that in the Hero's story.
- Not to mention Shadow with his mouth hanging open the whole time.
- "My power is FAILING!"
- In the last story, we have this hilarious moment. The colony starts falling, Sonic and Knuckles feel the sudden vibration and realize something bad is happening. Rouge appears and explains the situation in a complete deadpan... And then she opens her mouth and eyes widely, after Gerald's last message suddenly pops up on a screen nearby.
- The last story. Sonic and Shadow are preparing to go into their super forms to fight the Biohazard and save the earth. Knuckles watches them, transfixed in awe...with the derpiest expression ever on his face. Summed up best by the Great Clement here.
- Before Amy busts Sonic out of his cell, he says the reason he's imprisoned is because of "that fake hedgehog". What makes it funny is that, while he says his line, he does some weird lunging exercise, and then starts jogging in-place for some reason.
- Shadow's occasional hammy displays, enhanced by his permanent frown:
*talking to no one* It all starts with this... *holds Chaos Emerald over his head* a jewel containing the ultimate power! 
*speaking slowly* I've been waiting for you, Doctor. Now, I will show the glooorious achievement of what the world's leading scientist - Professor Gerald - has created. (...) A weapon capable of destroying an entire planet. *points finger skywards* Codenamed: The Eclipse Cannon! *clenches hand into a fist* (...) *extends arms to the sides*
Once you have that, then you have the ultimate power of destruction to use as you please. And then... the wooorld... could be yooours! 
- Let's show that creep THE REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK! Yeah, because WE'RE SONIC HEROES! Actually, the entirety of Sonic Heroes was pretty Narmy.
- Let's blast through with SONIC SPEED!
- Rouge's "I'm getting dizzy" vocal sounds suspiciously like Howard Dean's YAAAGH scream.
- It's even worse in that her VA says it sounding very much like Tails.
- This cutscene leading up to Team Sonic vs. Robot Storm.
- And that's not getting into the music... although it comes off as Narm Charm to a point.
- Upon defeating Metal Sonic:
: I am the ultimate overlord, Metal Sonic! I am the real Sonic!
- Take thi- Take thi- Take thi- Take this!
- Hey! There's a FROG over there!
- Shi! Urah! Yeeeeeaaaaah!
- "I'll punch this thing WITH MY FISTS!"
- Almost everyone can agree that the above quote can also go with THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS. What else are you gonna f*** punch with?
- Knuckles, don't swear! This is a kid's game!
- Play as Team Chaotix, get a bad reel on one of the casino level slots with Espio as the lead. Listen to his needlessly overdramatic guttural growl of:
- He really elongates the "NO" there and can't decide between screaming it and growling it. It sounds very silly, especially when Espio's now portrayed as a ninja, if not then a parody of anime ninja. It's surprising that Sega hasn't had him recite the Kuji-In yet.
- "You're going to pay for this!" does not sound very threatening when being said by a big dopey cat to a giant robot-dragon thing.
- The 4 Conflict Ball cutscenes where 2 teams are about to battle each other. It's absurd how quick they are to start a fight. Take a look:
- Tails' extremely grating "YA WANT SOME MOOOORE!?" line makes him sound like a kid who's trying to act like a tough guy he saw in a movie.
- Amy's cry of "Oh my GOD!" whenever you come across an item like a 1-UP is sure to raise a few laughs.
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) did have some. This is especially due to the contrast of the kind of realistic humans and the animal and human contrast during the drama scenes, the nonsensical plot, the dialogue, and moments of pure silliness like Eggman or Tails pressing buttons like he was a cartoon.
- At least Eggman's moments are So Bad, It's Good. The scenes with him in are pretty much one of the few bearable bits of the game's plot.
- Don't touch it!
- Don't forget Mephiles' "resurrection", where he introduces himself then starts zombie walking while looking straight down. This, combined with his black and white color scheme.
- And then there's the glorious Narm that is Sonic's death scene: the overdramatic slow-mo fall, Princess Elise's Big "NO!", the organ that plays like an old-timey film, the total randomness of the murder, or the fact that being impaled by a laser lance of death apparently doesn't leave a single mark on him.
- In Sonic's boss battle with Silver. "It's no use". While meant to cause fear, surprise, or even wonder, it quickly becomes Narmy, and even more quickly becomes frustrating, especially after the 20th or 30th time.
- "That tornado is carrying a car!"
- Besides carrying cars, the tornado is also sentient (throws cars in front of Sonic) and stops when you finish the level, just hanging out in the background while Sonic poses.
- Sonic's "Test of Love". If an oracle using "Dramatic" lines to tell you to choose between two girls in a mission that's so random it's basically a Big Lipped Alligator Moment isn't enough for you, keep in mind that this supposedly dramatic choice used the same upbeat little tune all the other missions use.
- During the final boss of Sonic's story, Eggman will occasionally yell "Fall!", sounding less like an evil genius trying to kill you and more like a little kid who was one pin away from getting a strike in bowling.
- And then there's Sonic's hilariously goofy/creepy laughter. Thank you, Jason Griffith...
- The Dark Gaia of Sonic Unleashed. It could've been so epic, had it not suffered from two Narms of its own:
- The Unexpected Gameplay Change of fighting its first form with a Humongous Mecha formed from all of the Gaia shrines, Rock'em Sock'em Robots style.
- The orchestrated music during Dark Gaia's final form sounding like he and Super Sonic should be breaking out in vaudeville-like show tunes at any second instead of fighting.
- If there was ever a reason for the concept of fan art to exist, this would be it.
- Seriously, that whole scene was Narm, but the music was actually what saved the final battle. Just because a song lacks electric guitar doesn't mean it's vaudeville music.
- You didn't expect the final battle to play the all-happy Endless Possibility from the opening sequence, did you?
- Rouge the Bat in every appearance, especially for her... bouncing... In her first appearance, half of us were busy laughing at how unrealistically she moved; the other half found it... interesting.
- The 3DS version of Sonic Generations attempts to convey the plot of the console versions to the best of its ability. Emphasis on "attempts". There had to be a better way to convey destroying Eggman's robots or making a Heroic Sacrifice than having 3D models slide past what appear to be trading cards.
- The face Classic Sonic makes when he's surprised. He just stands there with a gaping mouth, wide-eyed (keep in mind Sonic's two pupil, one eyeball design) stare.
- The battle the two Sonics are supposed to have with Eggman before the final boss is butchered in this version. The game portrays the battle with still images, cheap visual effects, and text boxes. It gets especially confusing when Tails enters the fight.
- The most narmful moment in the console/PC version of Sonic Generations has to be Modern Sonic's parting words to Classic Sonic: "Enjoy your future! It's gonna be great!"
- Sonic and the Secret Rings gives us Erazor Djinn's final form: Alf Layla Wa Layla, mainly its voice. It's meant to sound echoey and distorted to show how powerful he's become, but the effect used for it is just awful. He ends up sounding like a demonic chipmunk as opposed to a monstrous abomination.
- In Sonic Shuffle, Lumina and Void's constant angsting.