"We Found Love" is a 2011 single by Rihanna
and Calvin Harris
. Released as the first cut from her album Talk That Talk
, its music video was directed by Rihanna's frequent collaborator, Melina Matsoukas. It currently boasts over 270 million views on Youtube
, after nearly two years of its release.
The video has received high critical praise, and won the 2012 Video Music Awards for Video of the Year, as well as garnering additional nominations for Best Female Video and Best Pop Video.
You can watch it here
"We Found Love" contains examples of:
- Creator Cameo: Calvin Harris, who produced the song, is shown DJing during a party scene.
- Creator Breakdown: Many are certain that both the song and its video are a commentary on her complicated relationship with Chris Brown.
- Dizzy Cam: Used to show Rihanna and Dudley literally spinning out of control while high.
- Dramatic Thunder: Utilized after the Opening Narration.
- Love Is A Drug
- Non-Nude Bathing: A couple of scenes show with Rihanna and Dudley in a bath with all their clothes on.
- Northern Ireland: The video was filmed in Belfast, during a stop there on her Loud Tour.
- Opening Narration: One courtesy of English model Agyness Deyn, though many have assumed it's actually Rihanna herself, pulling off a fake British accent.
- Reflective Eyes: At one point in the video, Dudley's eye shows a reflection of Rihanna screaming.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Rihanna ultimately leaves Dudley, at the end of the video.
- Shout-Out: The look (and themes) of the video seems to borrow heavily from Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream and Skins.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Dudley O'Shaughnessy, R Ihanna's love interest in the video, is an obvious stand-in for Chris Brown.
- Title Only Chorus
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: An odd example; at one point in the video, Rihanna vomits ribbons.