"It's like you're screaming, and no one could hear. You almost feel ashamed that someone could be that important, that without them, you feel like nothing. No one will ever understand how much it hurts. You feel hopeless, like nothing can save you. Then when it's over, then it's gone, you almost wish you could have all that bad stuff back, so that you could have the good…''"We Found Love" is a 2011 single by Rihanna and Calvin Harris. Released as the first cut from her album Talk That Talk, its music video was directed by Rihanna's frequent collaborator, Melina Matsoukas. It currently boasts over 270 million views on Youtube, after nearly two years of its release.The video has received high critical praise, and won the 2012 Video Music Awards for Video of the Year, as well as garnering additional nominations for Best Female Video and Best Pop Video.You can watch it here.
"We Found Love" contains examples of:
- Dizzy Cam: Used to show Rihanna and Dudley literally spinning out of control while high.
- Dramatic Thunder: Utilized after the Opening Narration.
- Non-Nude Bathing: A couple of scenes show with Rihanna and Dudley in a bath with all their clothes on.
- Opening Narration: One courtesy of English model Agyness Deyn, though many have assumed it's actually Rihanna herself, pulling off a fake British accent.
- Reflective Eyes: At one point in the video, Dudley's eye shows a reflection of Rihanna screaming.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Rihanna ultimately leaves Dudley, at the end of the video.
- Shout-Out: The look (and themes) of the video seems to borrow heavily from Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream and Skins.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Dudley O'Shaughnessy, R Ihanna's love interest in the video, is an obvious stand-in for Chris Brown.