(Korean: 빅스, Japanese: ヴィックス, acronym for Voice, Visual, Value in Excelsis) is a South Korean boy band
that debuted on May 24, 2012 under Jellyfish Entertainment. Notably, rather than being assembled by their label as per the norm for Korean idol groups, the 6 members were chosen through a elimination-style reality TV show
in which 10 trainees competed against each other, with results being based off viewer votes. Only the final 6 made the cut and were allowed to debut as VIXX.
- N (born June 30, 1990) - leader, main dancer, lead vocalist
- Leo (born November 10, 1990) - main vocalist
- Ken (born April 6, 1992) - main vocalist
- Ravi (born February 15, 1993) - main rapper, main dancer
- Hongbin (born September 29, 1993) - visual, supporting vocalist, supporting rapper
- Hyuk (born July 5, 1995) - maknae, supporting vocalist, lead dancer
Jellyfish Entertainment's first and so far only idol group, VIXX started out with a saccharine, generic boy band sound, and compared to other newcomers in 2012, their debut was rather lackluster. It wasn't until 2013 that they made a name for themselves with the single On and On
, which marked a reinvention in image and artistic direction for the group. Soon after, they netted their first music show win with Voodoo Doll
, and haven't looked back since. Though 2013 is considered their breakout year, the successes of Eternity
in 2014 solidified them as one of the industry's emerging boy groups, with a growing domestic and international fanbase.
Nowadays, they're known for their onstage charisma, superb choreography, and their willingness to embrace dark, disturbing
, or otherwise unorthodox concepts and subject matter for their songs - ones that most boy bands wouldn't even dare to touch - and run
with them; as a result, they're often referred to variably as "concept gangsters", "horror-dols", and "fantasy-dols" in Korea. VIXX also have a great deal of creative control over their work compared to most boy bands - in fact, members have written and composed album tracks, choreographed music videos, and come up with the concepts for their releases, among other things.
Korean DiscographyStudio Albums:Extended Plays:Singles:
Japanese DiscographyStudio Albums:Singles:
- Super Hero (2012)
- Rock Ur Body (2012)
- On and On (2013)
- Eternity (2014)
VIXX provides examples of the following tropes:
- All There in the Manual: Apparently Leo is the DJ for VIXX TV.
- Ambiguously Brown: N, and to a lesser extent Ravi, are subject to many jokes.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Many people tend to think that Leo is suffering from one of these due to his extreme camera shyness.
- Artistic License – Physics: On and On. Launching people to outer space will cause the G-forces to crush them. Unless if they're not humans at all.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: N. Or N-mi, if you prefer.
- Badass Baritone: Ravi. Made hilarious in their performance as VIXX Girls, as he was the only one who didn't even bother trying to sound feminine.
- Big Brother Mentor: Singers and labelmates Park Hyo Shin, Sung Shi Kyung, and Seo In Gook.
- Big Little Brother: Hyuk - after his growth spurt, he's now the tallest member of the group.
- Bloodier and Gorier: The Hyde music video was this compared to On and On, but the music video for Voodoo Doll makes both of them seem pleasant by comparison.
- Bowdlerise: The choreography for Voodoo Doll had to be changed for live performances because it was deemed too violent. The music video itself was deemed too horrific to broadcast, so a clean version without the questionable content was made.
- Boy Band: A Korean Pop Music example.
- Catch Phrase: Everyone in the group (save Leo) has said "Wow!" at least three times, but Ken and N seem to be the worst offenders. Also, Ken and "Otokaji~?" ("What do we do~?") In fact, he has a song for it, consisting of only that word. And then there's Hyuk and "Bum-babum-babum..."
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: All of them to a certain extent, but mostly Ken.
- Their Mnet Wide featurette caught Ravi and Hongbin on camera having an hour-long debate over how a bathtub worked. Hyuk had previously commented that the group's conversations were usually very strange.
- Cool Shades: Ravi and Leo often sport these.
- The Cutie: Ken, who is prone to spontaneous aegyo and is referred to as the "cutie main vocal".
- Cyberpunk: Invoked with promotional◊ images◊ for Error.
- Cyborg: In their music video for Error the boys become rather depressed but handsome cyborgs.
- Darker and Edgier: The music video for On and On is definitely this compared to Super Hero and Rock Ur Body. It's been turned up to eleven with Hyde.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Ravi during the G.R.8.U◊ and Hyde◊ eras.
- Death Glare: Leo is a master of these.
- Defrosting Ice King: Leo seems to be ever so slowly warming up to cameras lately. Ever so slowly.
- Designated Parents: N is often referred to as the mom, while Leo is sometimes mentioned as the dad.
- Disguised in Drag: All of them (save Leo, who was injured and couldn't perform) as VIXX Girls. N in particular sells the look really well.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The boys made their own theme song for season 2 of VIXX TV, with the process being shown in the first episode.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Ravi is a fanboy magnet.
- Eye Scream: All over the place in the Voodoo Doll MV.
- Fanboy: Hongbin is a huge fan of the singer Park Hyo Shin. N's adoration of SNSD's Seohyun is also well-known.
- Female Gaze: N and his butt for example. Hongbin also gets asked to flash his abs a lot on variety shows.
- Follow the Leader: VIXX's success paved the way for other made-by-reality-TV idol groups; examples include YG Entertainment's WINNER and iKON, and Starship Entertainment's No.Mercy.
- Genre Roulette: Masters of this trope. Voodoo alone had the dark industrial banger that is Voodoo Doll, the soft, dreamy electropop Someday, the guitar-infused R&B number Only U, the 90's throwback B.O.D.Y, and the sugary ballad Thank You For My Love, all in one album.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: They all sprout black wings at the end of the music video for Hyde.
- Gratuitous English: Ravi is the biggest offender, as the Engrish-filled intros to almost all of their title tracks are done by him; Error bucked the trend by not having one.
- Guyliner: Wouldn't be K-pop without it, but rather than using it strictly for glamour they sometimes smudge it to make themselves look more deranged, most notably in On and On and Hyde.
- Hates Being Touched: Leo, unless he initiates it.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Leo often listens to music in the car while the others talk during VIXX TV.
- Heavy Sleeper: Ravi can sleep through anything.
- I Can't Dance: Ken joined as a trainee with the aim of becoming a ballad singer, not a member of a dance-oriented boy band. That said, he keeps up pretty well. Averted with the others, N in particular won several dance competitions prior to debuting.
- Iconic Logo: Rovix.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: I Don't Want to Be an Idol is about a idol that falls in love with a girl, but can't do any of the things that normal couples can do without fangirls and paparazzi following them.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Leo, of all people, was the biggest wreck following VIXX's first ever win at a music show, sitting down right on the stage and curling into a ball to cry. Ravi and N were also openly bawling.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: Rovix.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Everyone's hair changes every once in a while, but Ravi is notable for changing his hair color four times in a six month period.
- Keet: Ken.
- The Leader: "Hello, I am VIXX's leader N."
- Lighter and Softer:
- G.R.8.U was this compared to Hyde, as it represented the Jekyll half of their Jekyll and Hyde concept. Also, their MV for Only U. It was filmed while they were on their world tour, and basically consists of them walking around Stockholm in semi-formal clothing.
- The Eternity music video counts as well, for being the relatively tame, if melancholic, direct successor to Voodoo Doll.
- Lucky Charms Title: The official way to write the fan name is St★rlight.
- Mad Love: Along with the Obsession Song, this is the theme for a lot of their title tracks, and several of their album tracks as well.
- Mascot: Rovix, the robot head that appears on much of their clothing and accessories.
- Marionette Motion: A lot of the choreography in Voodoo Doll utilizes this.
- Meaningful Name: Some of the members' stage names have some meaning behind them.
- Ravi means "to be delighted with" or "enchanted by" in French.
- Ken's stage name comes from the Street Fighter character of the same name, and also his resemblance to Japanese actor Ken Hirai.
- Leo was named after the proverbial king of the jungle to symbolize the desire to dominate the music industry.
- Mr. Fanservice: Hongbin. And how◊!
- Not So Above It All: Leo, again, during those rare moments where he joins the others in whatever antics they're doing.
- Odd Friendship: Leo and Hyuk. Hyuk, who joined the trainee group much later than the other 5, was actually so intimidated by Leo at first he considered quitting the group, but they're good friends now. Even if it's hard to tell with Leo.
- Older Than They Look: Guys N's age are jealous of his youthful looks.
- One Head Taller: VIXX are ranked 3rd in overall height among all-male groups in Korea, behind only DBSK and CN Blue. They are this to pretty much everyone else; in fact, a segment of their Mnet Wide featurette was dedicated to how they towered over poor EXO when promoting for Voodoo Doll.
- People Puppets: In the music video for Voodoo Doll, which of course leads to its logical conclusion.
- Perpetual Frowner: Leo's default facial expression.
- Pet the Dog: Nothing stands between Leo and an adorable animal.
- Reality Show: They were made on one! VIXX TV and MTV Diary are the "day in the life" variety, and MyDOL is the competition variety.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Compare current Ken with predebut Ken. It's pretty interesting what hair, make up and a removal of glasses can do.
- She's Got Legs: All of the members are over 180cm tall. Their long limbs are a big reason why their choreography works as well as it does.
- Shirtless Scene: A certain challenge for MyDOL had all 10 trainees shirtless and covered in mud.
- Hongbin spent quite a bit of time with his chest and abs exposed in the Error MV.
- Fangirls have been going crazy that On and On has a bit of Phantom of the Opera in it.
- In the video for their single Hyde, all six members sport some of the face paint options from Skyrim at one point or another.
- The lyrics of Hyde are inspired by Jekyll & Hyde. Their mini album was also titled Hyde, with the repackage being titled Jekyll.
- Singer Name Drop: Ravi says or has his name dropped in their title songs before he raps. Always. To the point where "summoning Ravi" is a bit of a meme in the fandom.
- Six Student Clique:
- N: The Head by position as the leader.
- Hyuk: The Quirk, as during one episode of MTV Diary, he went to go play in a park. He's 18.
- Hongbin: The Pretty One, being the "visual" of the group.
- Leo: The Muscle, knowing taekwondo and boxing, plus having the biggest arms and a six pack.
- Ravi: The Smart One, who sometimes says meaningful and profound things. Also has helped write and/or produce pretty much every song they've made.
- Ken: The Wild One, being the most hyper one in the group.
- Sleepyhead: Again, Ravi. Who is apparently sleepy even when angry, and sleeps anywhere and everywhere and can't be woken up again afterwards. There have been montages of all the places he's managed to fall asleep in, and he's even managed to fall asleep in the middle of scolding someone.
- Slice of Life: VIXX TV, the show-slash-vlog that N (and sometimes Ravi and Ken) host on their YouTube Channel, RealVIXX.
- So Unfunny It's Funny: Ken is the main offender.
- Split Personality: The main theme of Hyde.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Leo and Ken for singing, N and Ravi for dancing.
- Stage Names: All of them except Hongbin.
- Leo's real name is Jung Taekwoon.
- N's real name is Cha Hakyeon.
- Ken's real name is Lee Jaehwan.
- Ravi's real name is Kim Wonshik.
- Hyuk's real name is Han Sanghyuk.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Our dear Leo, we love him so. Hyuk is also growing into this.
- Team Mom: N.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Hyuk and his gopchang. The others... are not as fond of it.
- Vocal Dissonance: Leo's speaking voice is high and extremely soft, in contrast to his strong singing voice and somewhat intimidating appearance.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ravi◊ during the Eternity era.
- Younger Than They Look: Ravi has commented that people are surprised when they find out how young he is. Also Hyuk, who despite being the youngest is now the tallest in the group.