UTAU (not to be confused
with the Shugo Chara!
character, or Uat
u, a Watcher from the Marvel Universe
) is a musical voice synthesis program created by Ameya as a freeware response to Vocaloid
. Using UTAU is much like using Vocaloid, however there are some differences in usage (which may lead to Damn You, Muscle Memory
). Also, UTAU has the feature of importing vocal samples manually, which allows a person to use their own voice in UTAU.
Before the appearance of the now popular Teto Kasane, UTAU was virtually unknown. To date, there are over 1500 UTAU voicebanks from all over the world.
Near the end of 2009, Ameya created a special voicebank recording style first known as renzokuon, or "continuous sound", also widely called VCV (vowel-consonant-vowel). This allowed UTAU voicebanks to sound much smoother and more human than before. As of recent years, another new recording style, CV-VC (consonant-vowel-vowel-consonant) has became rather popular due to allowing one to create voicebanks for different languages other than Japanese. (Like, for example, english) A Mac version of UTAU, known as UTAU-Synth, has now been released, and a mobile version of the software is in the works.
Since all UTAU are essentially OCs
, opinions may be conflicting as to how fitting a trope may be. Edit with caution.
Provides Examples Of:
open/close all folders
General Character Tropes
- Anthropomorphic Food: Sekushii Beikon is a...piece of bacon.
- Bishōnen: Ted Kasane, Taya Soune, Rook, and a good share of male UTAUloids fit this category.
- Canon Immigrant: Teto, who started as an April's Fools Joke and became an UTAUloid. Also, the Macne Family, as well as Acme Iku, the Default family and Loline Com, weren't originally UTAUloids. Macne Family were originally intended for Mac, Acme Iku was originally from a hentai Flash app with a plethora of ero sounds, Defoko and her siblings were from AquesTalk, and Loline Com had his own editor, which looked like a prototype of UTAU, even with similar mechanics.
- Gender Bender: Some UTAUloids have two voicebanks, one male and one female. Also, around 70% of all UTAU voicebanks get a genderbent of some sort (sometimes, an older/younger counterpart of the same gender as well, which also uses the gender factor flag). The most famous are:
- Kasane Teto - Kasane Ted
- Sukone Tei - Sukone Teiru
- Nagone Mako - Nagone Makoto
- Suiga Sora - Suiga Sara
- Macne Nana - Macne Nanao/Macne Shichi (and sometimes, Macne Nana Petit as the younger counterpart)
- Acme Iku - Acme Ikuo
- Teira - Mashuu (and Tiramisu as the younger counterpart)
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: Nagone Mako is the most notable example of this trope.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Anyone can make an UTAU. Naturally, this means there are well over a thousand voicebanks and characters; however, only a handful of them have any popularity.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: InuHebi.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Many UTAUloids have those. Momo got peaches, Teto got the French bread, Sora got the curry, Yufu got castella cake...
- Tsundere: Kasane Teto is regarded as a Type B. There are enough tsundere UTAUloids to make a list of its own.
- Troll: Some UTAUloids are made for this exact purpose; the most famous being the VIPPaloids Kasane Teto, Yokune Ruko and Namine Ritsu, who are April's Fools jokes from 2ch.
- Tei Sukone, also from 2ch, is another example. Her unoriginal design is a Take That at everyone whose UTAUloid's outfit is a Palette Swap of Miku's, her personality is a Take That at fan characters who love Len and hate Miku, and her sharingan is a Take That to Naruto fan characters who have it. Unlike Teto and the other VIPPaloids, however, she is immensely hated by the Fan Dumb who don't realize that she was MADE for trolling.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ritsu is the most notable example of such, although there are quite a few crossdressing characters.
- Yandere: As with Tsundere UTAUloids, there are many UTAUloids who fit this character type; Tei Sukone and Amagaku are two popular examples.
Original Song Tropes
- And I Must Scream: The premise of Time Glass, as explained in the author's comments.
As some of you will remember from the original Grimm fairytale, the poison did not actually kill Snow White, it simply incapacitated her. In a way, she was in a coma for years until her prince found her. So, my concept was, what if she was conscious during that whole time, locked inside a glass coffin with no way to speak, or move, with only her thoughts as company. Thus this song was born.
- Driven to Suicide: One of the various interpretations given to Sky High.
- Kids Are Cruel: In Daughter of an Evil Spirit, kids made fun of Teto because she had wings on her back and red eyes. Although, adults joined on it.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Again, Daughter of an Evil Spirit. Although, it wasn't senseless on her part, but on those who sacrificed her. The volcano still was active after she was sacrificed to it.