Pata at the 2010 Yokohama shows
Tomoaki Ishizuka (best known by his stage name of "Pata," either chosen by himself or bestowed upon him by other bandmates because of how he reminded them of the character in a manga) is a Japanese rock guitarist best known for being the second guitarist of the band X Japan
. Before his days with X Japan, he had his own band, "Judy" which he had asked Yoshiki
to join, an offer which was turned down. Later, when one of X's guitarists took ill, Yoshiki asked Pata to join X Japan, he accepted, and the band's most recognizable lineup was in place.
Pata began a solo career in 1993, with the Pata's Bootleg concert and self-titled album "Pata." When X Japan
lead guitarist hide
began his solo career, Pata often played as one of his supporting guitarists as a member of Spread Beaver. He also played support for other bands and artists and toured with hide up until 1996.
After hide's death, he organized an alternative-rock band called Dope Headz with X Japan
bassist Heath, and he continued to play with Heath in Dope Headz until the dissolution of the band. He also recorded with Miyavi
on Miyavi's album Galyuu,
as second guitar. He would go on to form his current band, Ra:IN (members Pata [g], Michiaki [b], Tetsu [d], D.I.E. [keyboards, programming, vocals]
Pata, along with Dynamite Tommy
and Taiji Sawada
and others, also appeared in the Japanese rock film "Attitude."
- Pata (November 4, 1993)
- Raised on Rock (July 5, 1995)
- Fly Away (September 21, 1994)
- Shine on Me (January 21, 1995)
- Patent Applied For (March 25, 1998)
- PAF.#0002 (February 24, 1999)
- Primitive Impulse (June 6, 2001)
- Planet of the Dope (July 24, 2002)
Provides Examples Of
- The Line (November 7, 2003)
- Before the Siren (March 8, 2006)
- Metal Box (April 9, 2008)
- The Alcoholic: Admitted as such in interviews where he's referred to drinking a to go bowl (e.g. the size of a full ramen cup) of 80 proof whiskey for breakfast as if such an admission were nothing. His wife also divorced him for cause - the cause being alcoholism.
- Badass Beard: He grew a beard and mustache over 2011.
- Bi the Way: Despite all the Yaoi stuff he has drawn/liked and the onstage fanservice, Pata has also written songs explicitly about heterosexual sex on his solo material. He was also married to a woman for a short period and had at least one child.
- Breakup Breakout: Ever heard of Judy? .... all right then, heard of X Japan?
- His solo career is probably the most successful out of any of the X bandmates aside from hide, having toured Europe extensively as well as being relatively cult followed in America for the albums he did with James Christian.
- Bomb Throwing Anarchist: In the early days of X, Yoshiki described him as one.
- But Not Too Foreign: Pata is actually of black African ancestry as well.
- Carpet of Virility
- Companion Cube: Just try to find a a tour pic where his beloved guitar isn't within three feet of him.
- Cool Old Guy: Agewise, no, since he is younger than hide by a year and younger than Toshi (the current oldest member of the band) by a month, but appearancewise, he is probably the only X member to have completely stripped himself of any Visual Kei makeup or costuming, thus making him appear older than the other members.
- Cuteness Proximity: Pata loves cats.
- Delinquent Hair: Sported a mohawk in the Blue Blood days, and until 1992 had cherry red hair.
- Drunken Master: Pata has gone on stage drunk, drinks during shows, and none of it seems to have any effect on his incredible skill.
- Elective Mute: Very close to this, except that he uses Hiding Behind The Language Barrier rather than not speaking at all.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Though the least noticed of the band, many fans say he is the more skilled of X Japan's guitarists.
- Epic Rocking: The final combined solo/guitar duet of Art of Life.
- Fanservice: With X Japan until the middle of The Nineties, he would occasionally engage in fanservice with Taiji or hide (and at least once was the target of some from Toshi). In his days in Spread Beaver, he would occasionally kiss hide onstage. Over time, though, he became far less known for fanservice and doesn't aim for it either in appearance or in actions as of the reunion and onward.
- Fetish Retardant: What some fans consider the beard+moustache look and his now-withering body. Though others find it attractive...
- Hell-Bent for Leather: At least in old days; nowadays, not so much.
- I Call It Vera: Pata's favorite guitar (the '59 finish Les Paul) is named Jomuko...and it's been voted vice-president of Ra:IN.
- Intercourse with You: "All The Way," which is, unsurprisingly, about groupies.
- Rockstar Song: From Pata's solo career and his first album, "Story Of A Young Man." It's his autobiographical song.
- Rummage Sale Reject: His style as of 2007 or so onward.
- Shrinking Violet: He's easily the most shy member of X Japan onstage.
- The Stoic: Probably his most obvious personality feature: he is, even drunk, quiet and reserved openly.
- Survivor Guilt: For hide and now Taiji. Sadly enough, the two people in the scene Pata was closest to in life are now both dead...
- Surprisingly Good English: Despite rumors to the contrary caused by Hiding Behind The Language Barrier, Pata speaks and understands English fluently, and when he speaks it his accent is very light.
- The Quiet One: Usually the least noticed of the band, but can sometimes be heard on backing vocals, particularly on Stab Me In The Back and Vanishing Love.
- The Red Stapler: Les Paul guitars, Jack Daniels whiskey, the Yomiuri Giants, "Patalliro!", and cats.
- Those Two Guys: Pata is one, Heath the other. Yoshiki, hide, Toshi, and occasionally Taiji are the band members most people think of first.
- Yaoi Fanboy: From both his love for Patalliro and some of his official art, it's pretty obvious he likes yaoi. He also used to bring a large amount of X Japan fanservice back in the day, usually choosing either hide or Taiji for it.
- Younger Than They Look: Pata is only 47 years old.