Always hooked up and performing
I feel so untouched
The Veronicas (2005-present) are Jessica and Lisa Origliasso, born on Christmas day 1984. Twins from Brisbane, Australia, both are self taught guitarists and piano players. Famous world wide for their catchy pop songs and great work ethic.
Hit songs include: You Ruin Me (#1 in Australia), 4ever, Untouched, Hook Me Up (#1 in Australia) and Everything I'm Not.
Their first album was acoustic pop rock, their second was classical electronic rock power pop, their next album may have an RNB edge. Jess describes their music as: "If you melted a barbie into some black nail polish and then sprinkled it with glitter and then maybe put some spit on it.
They have worked with including Clif Magness (who has written with Avril Lavigne
), Billy Steinberg (Madonna
, Cyndi Lauper), Max Martin (Britney Spears
, Katy Perry
), Eric Nova, Dead Mono, Vince Degiorgio, Toby Gad (Kelly Clarkson
, Alicia Keys
) and Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins
They tour constantly and consistently world wide. Their last tour was called Revenge is Sweeter (2009) and it was a world wide tour, including America and UK. It went for about 7 months overall.
During the lack of album releases Lisa started a side project called "Dead Cool Dropouts" with her close friend Tyler Bryant of the Taylor Bryant band with Garageband. They focus on doing acoustic break up songs like, Shallow, Green Eyes Make Me Blue and Write You Off. Jess had her own side project called Cakehole, in 07, which has a pleasant
song called "Stab You".
Started pre-production and writing work on their third album since late 2009.The Veronicas have also done five or more promo performance for their fans and also promoted their third album with live-demo tracks which were called, Cold, Let Me Out, Dead Cool, Heart Like A Boat, Baby I'm Ready, Set It off, Who Ooh, Lolita, Could've Been and Psycho Bitch. These were at various gigs over the periods of 2010-2013. Single "You Ruin Me" came out in 2014..
- Exposed... The Secret Life of The Veronicas (2006)
- Revenge Is Sweeter Tour (2009)
- Sessions@AOL (2005)
- Unplugged:The Veronicas (2006)
- Untouched:Lost Tracks (2009)
- The Live Tracks Featuring; Cold, Let Me Out, Dead Cool, Heart Like A Boat, Baby Im Ready, Set It off, Who Ohh, Could've Been, My Best Mistake and Psycho Bitch (Late 2011)
- Lolita (2012)
- Album Title Drop: "Did You Miss Me?" features a Life On Mars title drop. When that was the name of the third album
- Audience Participation Song: 4ever, Everything, Everything I'm Not, This Love
- And Now For Something Completely Different: A common theme between albums
- Arc Words / Verbal Tic / Author Vocabulary Calendar: Uses the word, "Everything" a lot in the titling of their songs: "Everything I'm Not","Everything I Need", "Everything".
- Messed Up, Screwed Up, F'd up was a theme all over the lyrics of Secret Life
- Action Girl: In their Lolita video, well they have guns anyway.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Dead Cool", "I Can't Stay Away"
- Subverted with "I Could Get Used To This", "Heart Like A Boat"
- Always Identical Twins: They are actually fraternal twins.
- Band of Relatives: Twins are twins.
- Be Yourself: And be loved as yourself is the theme of Secret Life
- Best Served Cold: "REVENGE is Sweeter" and the Everything I'm Not video.
- Breakup Song: Where to start...
- The most heartbreaking would be "In Another Life" and "Nobody Wins".
- Break His Heart to Save Him: "In Another Life", "Worlds Apart", "All I Have", "Everything I Need", "Nobody Wins" all have this deep subtext.
- Bunny Ears Lawyers: They are Perky Goth's with emotional problems, they know they are that, but most of the time there is a genuine reason for them to do what they do, and listening to their interviews they have a clear intelligence for the music industry.
- Boastful Rap: Popular, a parody on conceited musicians.
- "Did You Miss Me?" is 1.5 minutes of brag.
- Big Rock Ending: In Another Life
- Bi the Way: Jess has outright stated this a few times.
- Blonde Brunette Red Head: Often try out all these colours and black all the time.
- B-Side: "Hollywood", "Everything", "Did Ya Think", "How Long", "Don't Say Goodbye", "Insomnia", "Goodbye To You", "A Teardrop Hitting The Ground", "Cry".
- Careful with That Axe: Jess does some fierce screams at the end of Mother Mother.
- Psycho Bitch naturally has screams too. Lolita has screams too.
- Call Back: "When we're together, You'll love me Forever" referring to their first single.
- Cover Version: Uprising, Skyscraper, Burnin Up, Mother Mother, Long Way To The Top, Baby One More Time, Grown Up Christmas List, Rock You Like A Hurricane, A Teardrop Hitting The Ground, Fallin' and more..
- Concept Album:
- Secret Life: They said themselves they had a Be Your Self complex while writing the album
- Hook Me Up: Long distance relationships and fame side effects.
- Creator Breakdown: In Another Life was recorded while Jess was in tears, obviously over what caused her to create this song and this is heard on the album and makes the song a fan favourite.
- Cold is rather personal to Lisa because it's about an abusive relationship she appears to have been in, (see the lyrics) and she's still upset performing it, hence her doing the spoken bits. It's her story to tell, just like In Another Life was Jess'.
- Creator Couple: Both of them and their currant and SOME of the past boyfriends have written with, collaborated with them live or added instrumental parts to their albums.(Steve Corgan ("Did You Miss Me?"), Tyler Bryant (Dead Cool Dropouts), Steve Childs (Red 4 U), Reeve Carney) Falls into Dream Team sometimes.
- Celebrity Endorsement: Their own clothes, Flirt! make up and perfume!
- Development Hell / Real Soon Now: Recording company has been pushing their third album back for 6 months, for 3 years straight (2010-2012), before finally releasing "Lolita". They pushed it back some more because it wasn't a "hit". (2013) They have since left that company and are persueing other options. (2014)
- Dead Pan Snarker: Sometimes in interviews they can do this!
- Dirty Old Man: Discussed in Lolita, due to being based upon the book.
- Dystopia: Lolita seems to be based in this world.
- Echoing Acoustics: Used in In Another Life and Mouth Shut
- Executive Meddling: The original version of "Hook Me Up" The Album had Don't Say Goodbye instead of the reused B-Side "Someone Wake Me Up" as one of the last tracks of the album. Life On Mars has been rewritten at least twice since suggested for eventual release at the end of 2012, which didn't happen.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Most of the time
- Follow the Leader: Subverted as they are the ones calling the shots.
- Fan Girls: Of Lady Gaga, would not stop talking about she opened the door for more eccentric popular music and ideas in a recent interview.
- Fun Size: Are fully aware of how they are sometimes shorter then 10 year olds, and will be the first to make jokes about it
- Femme Fatale: Take Me On The Floor, I Can't Stay Away, 4ever, Revolution.
- Genre Roulette: Two albums in and have done pop, pop-rock, pop electronic, dance pop, classical pop, 80's inspired pop, rap, trip hop, and R&B.
- Genre Shift: "Hook Me Up" album and song involved them embracing the THEN upcoming obsession with electronic music instead of the folky chick rock they were initially known for.
- Genki Girls: Never EVER have a break, ever. Found it hard to take a three month break before making the new record.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Take Me On The Floor and I Can't Stay Away get a whole load of sexy stuff, refer to coming and taking. This Love refers to "In your sheets"
- Horrible Hollywood: "Hollywood" is a description of this topic.
- Harsh Vocals: Jess does these live.
- Intercourse with You: Take Me on the Floor, Untouched, This Love, 4ever, All I Have, I Can't Stay Away, Everything, Lolita, Dead Cool.
- The Insomniac: Jess has said a couple times that Lisa tends to stay up late at night/refuse to sleep, even if they are working in the morning, and also that song called "Insomnia" listing all the reasons they write songs.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: "When It All Falls Apart", "Insomnia" and "Hook Me Up"
- Love Is A Drug: I Can't Stay Away
- Love at First Sight: "Fall So Hard".
- Lonely at the Top: "Hollywood"
- Leave Me Alone: Has a song called this.
- Lighter and Softer: Not in the most obvious way but, Hook Me Up was relatively more fun and silly then their debut.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Jess is darker, fiercer, more direct, less offended and tends to wear darker clothes most of the time, Lisa is kinder, sweeter, more smiley, polite, takes criticism harder and wears lighter clothes most of the time. The only time this is reversed is that Lis dyes her hair red, Jes dyes her hair blonde. Lis even had a light blonde streak when they debutted to point this out. (They do both dye they're hairs Red and Blonde to further the confusion, all the time)
- Minimalistic Cover Art: Hook Me Up and Secret Life Of has some gradient, their names and the album titles.
- Mood Whiplash: Speechless then Heavily Broken on their debut.
- Motor Mouth: Untouched, Said in fast speed without a breath.
I go ooh ooh, you go ah ah/lalalalalalalala/I can't lie lie lie lie lie lie
I wanna wanna wanna get get get what I want/Don't stop/Give me give me give me what you got got
Cause I can't wait wait wait any more more more more/Don't even talk about the consequence
Cause right now you're the only thing that's making any sense to me/And I don't give a damn what they say, what they think think
Cause you're the only one who's on my mind/I'll never ever let you leave me
I'll try to stop time for ever, never wanna hear you say goodbye (bye bye bye)
- "Did You Miss Me?" has three separate verses in the first minute and a half of it.
- Melismatic Vocals: Lisa does do this alot.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: How they explain their own music:
- Secret Life Of: Heavy Folk Pop Rock
- Hook Me Up: Symphonic Electronic Rap Rock Pop trip-hop rock 'n' roll.
- New Sound Album: Every album so far
- Non-Appearing Title: "Secret", "Everything I Need"
- Obsession Song: Everything, I Can't Stay Away, Could've Been, Let Me Out
- One Steve Limit: Jess has dated Steve Childs and Steve Coogan. Notable as she stayed with them for abojt four years and recorded songs with them.
- Power Ballad: In Another Life is at least one example of this.
- Performance Video: Revolution
- Precision F-Strike: "This Is How It Feels", "Did You Miss Me?" and "Cold"
- Subverted on "When It All Falls Apart" which they called cool to be uncool.
- Perky Goth: Some of the most upbeat artist's in the world, but are definitely borderline gothic.
- Piss-Take Rap: Popular besides also being a parody of Boastful Rap's.
- Record Producer: Toby Gad did most of their second album.
- Re Arrange The Song: Besides the standard acoustic versions of all their singles, and some non-singles which hit their heart (Heavily Broken).
- Revenge Is Sweeter was sped up in their live album "Revenge Is Sweeter", to the songs benefit.
- Real Soon Now: The often plotted but never released Life On Mars album. Since at least early 2011, it's been pushed back 4 times. Due in 2014 sometime.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: This Is How It Feels, Everything I Need, Revenge Is Sweeter (Than You Ever Were), Cold, When It All Falls Apart
- Romance on the Set: Jess's romance with Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins, Started due to him helping them with their third album.
- Rockstar Song: "Popular" and "Hollywood" feature elements of this trope.
- "Lolita" is about this hypothetically Nothing is secret in Hollywood and Word of God.
- "Did You Miss Me?" Also plays with this.
- Sanity Slippage Song: Hook Me Up, When It All Falls Apart, Heavily Broken, Hollywood, Insomnia, How Long
- Small Girl, Big Gun: in the Lolita video.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: They do all the vocals on all their albums
- Lolita, just like Lana Del Rey, who influenced them on their new album.
- Also allude to Little Red Riding Hood in: "I'm lost in the woods, you're baring your teeth".
- Did You Miss Me? shouts out to Heathers, Snow White, Bang Bang Bang, some common phrases in rap songs and the whistles in 2012/2011 pop songs.
- Lolita's music video alludes to Snow White and the Huntsman and Revenna's milk baths.
- Silly Love Songs: This Love, Speechless, I Could get used To This, Heart Like A Boat
- Slap-Slap-Kiss / Belligerent Sexual Tension: "Mad Love", "Revolution".
- Sibling Team: Twins!
- Studio Chatter: Before "Mother Mother" on their debut album.
- Before "Insomnia" Jess is asleep
- At the end of "Change The World" We wanna change your bad attitude! (laughter)
- At the end of "Luv" ''Shut up Lisa!"
- At the end of "I Don't Wanna Wait" there is a laughing mess-up of the lyrics.
- Spoken Word in Music: Untouched, Cold, Insomnia
- "Did You Miss Me?" uses part of the famous "I'm Not A Heather I'm A Veronica" bit off Heathers the movie.
- Stalker with a Crush: One of their exes is implied to turn into one of these right after their relationship ends in This Is how It Feels
You got nothing to say, gettin' in the way
Show up at my house
You're gettin' so obsessive
- The guy on the receiving end of Secret also plays this role.
- Scare Chord: Most of Lolita is plain singing, but they edited the You'll love me Forevah part that ends the chorus into an "AH!!!!" which finishes off the instrumental break downs and scares the listener.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Have a real big take no crap image, will go after people who hurt them, take no prisoners ever
- and are particularly sensitive to issues in their home country and always looking out for animals, and constantly fight for civil rights, gay rights, woman's rights and equality within the world.
- Subdued Section:
- "This Is How It Feels" verse three
- "This Love", Chorus 3, takes everything away except for the electronic piano.
- "Revenge Is Sweeter" last part of third verse, first part of chorus after that.
- "In Another Life" first part of the last chorus
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Speechless" off their debut.
- Soprano and Gravel: The girls get Jess to do the screams livr and Lis do the soft singing parts.
- Take That: In the lyrics
You're On The Way Down...I can't wait to see you burn.
- Aimed at Ryan Cabrera, who had a song called that bolded part. The song with these lyrics is Revenge is Sweeter (Than you ever were)
- Take That! Us!: Did a song called "Double Trouble (Samey Samey)" which exists purely for this purpose.They know how crazy the whole twins thing makes people.
- This Is a Song: "Did You Miss Me?"
- Twin Cest: A part of their very early videos till they grew out of it.
- Troubled Production: Third album has been delayed, for one reason or another since early 2010!
- Unplugged Version: Sessions@AOL, Mtv.com Live EP and always a section of their live show.
- Vocal Tag Team: Twins often change vocals during song.
- Woman Scorned: Revenge Is Sweeter (Than You ever were), Everything I'm Not, Did Ya Think, This Is How It Feels
- With Friends Like These...: Outright stated in When It All Falls Apart:
Don't know who my real friends are (anymore)/I put my faith in you
What a stupid thing to do (when it rains it pours)
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The story line behind the "When It All Falls Apart" music video and the second verse of the actual song.
- Writer Revolt: Lisa has stated, outright, if their new album isn't released by early 2013, they will leak it!
- Your Cheating Heart: Revenge Is Sweeter (Than you ever were), All I Have, Everything I'm Not, Did Ya Think
- Yandere "Lolita", "I Can't Stay Away", "Everything", "Mad Love".
- Working Title: Third album had working titles of Skeleton, You and Me, The Awakening, Death On Mars and Life On Mars.
- "Did You Miss Me?" has the working title of "I'm A Veronica"
I'd never let you down, down