The Tragically Hip, also known as "The Hip."
The Tragically Hip is a Canadian rock band that formed in 1983.
- Gordon "Gordie" Downie (lead vocals and guitar)
- Paul Langlois (guitar, joined 1986)
- Rob "Bobby" Baker (guitar)
- Gord Sinclair (bass)
- Johnny Fay (drums)
- Davis Manning (saxophone, left the band in 1986)
Tropes (band, lyrically, and musically):
- Blatant Lies : During live shows, Downie has the tendency to insert long, rambling, and obviously untrue monologues over instrumental breaks, usually in "New Orleans Is Sinking". The most famous tells about how he used to work at Sea World but had to quit after a killer whale bit his arms off, and another tells about how he drowned while trying to pull a family from a car during Hurricane Katrina.
- The Big Easy : "New Orleans is Sinking", "If New Orleans Falls", and the "Neworleansworld" segment of "The Depression Suite".
- Canadian Music : The lyrics in many of their songs mention a lot of Canadiana, including geographical locations, most famously "Bobcaygeon", although Downie has admitted they only picked that specific town because it sort-of rhymed with 'constellations'.
- Another good instance is "Fireworks", a song about not getting too hung up on nationalism, which is actually a very Canadian sentiment. It begins with a line only Canadians could understand:
- Large Ham : Gordie exemplifies ham in live performances and in music videos like "Poets" and "My Music at Work".
- The Man They Couldn't Hang : Referenced in the lyrics of The Tragically Hip's song "Bobcaygeon":
That night in Toronto with its checkerboard floors
Riding on horseback and keeping order restored
'Till the men they couldn't hang
Stepped to the mike and sang
And their voices rang with that Aryan twang
** It may also be a reference to the band called The Men They Couldn't Hang.
- Mondegreen: Deliberately courted in "I'll Believe In You Tonight (or I'll Be Leavin' You Tonight)"
- Punk in the Trunk : "Locked in the Trunk of a Car", appropriately enough.
- Sympathetic Murderer : The brother Mike in "38 Years Old":
See, my sister got raped
So a man got killed
A local boy went to prison
The man was buried on the hill
- Word Salad Lyrics: Sometimes.