Music / The Flower Kings
Sweden's gift to Progressive Rock
. Originally a solo album The Flower King
by Roine Stolt, which grew into a band that has been going strong for nearly twenty years now.
- Roine Stolt - Guitars and vocals, additional bass and keyboards
- Hasse Fröberg - Vocals and guitars, additional percussion
- Tomas Bodin - Keyboards
- Jonas Reingold - Bass
- Ola Heden - Vocals, keyboards and guitars
- Erik Hammarström - Drums
Former band members are:
- Michael Stolt - Bass
- Jamie Salazar - Drums
- Zoltan Csorsz - Dums
- Marcus Lillequist - Drums
- Daniel Gildenlöw - Vocals, guitars and percussion
Other Flower Kings collaborators include:
- Ulf Wallander - Alto Saxophone
- Hasse Brunuisson - Percussion
- Pat Mastelotto - Drums
- The Flower King 1994 - recorded by the eventual band and counted as part of their discography despite being Stolt's solo album.
- Back in the World of Adventures 1995
- Retropolis 1996
- Stardust We Are 1997 - 2-Disc release
- Flower Power 1999 - 2-Disc release
- Space Revolver 2000
- The Rainmaker 2001
- Unfold the Future 2002 - 2-Disc release
- Adam & Eve 2004
- Paradox Hotel 2006 - 2-Disc release
- Sum of No Evil 2007 (originally called Love)
- Banks of Eden 2012
- Desolation Rose 2013
- Album Filler: Sadly, most of their stuff that isn't Epic Rocking is this.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Roine Stolt, the Flower King himself, sometimes comes off as this.
- Epic Rocking: Of epic proportions. It's basically their raison d'être.
- Genre Shift: Roine Stolt's Wall Street Voodoo, a blues album
- Guest Star Party Member: Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain of Salvation and Pat Matselotto of King Crimson have joined the band on separate occasions.
- Large Ham: Hasse Froberg, in stark contrast tot the rest of the band.
- Lighter and Softer: Definitely on the bright and sunny side of Progressive Rock. As they put it: The Sum of No Evil.
- Miniscule Rocking: Several tracks from their first few albums last less than one minute in length, with the shortest being "Ikea By Night": a four-second drum fill leading into "Astral Dog".
- Nice Hat: Jonas Reingold
- Not Christian Rock: Debatable. While the band's lyrics are often spiritual and even moralizing, Roine does not identify himself or his band as Christian.
- Our Vampires Are Different: "A Vampire's View", a Villain Song featuring Daniel Gildenlöw as an Anne Rice-style vampire.
- The Power of Love: Their main recurring lyrical theme.
- Revolving Door Band: They went through a fair share of bassists, drummers and miscellaneous band members before arriving at the current line-up. Roine jokingly referred to his band as the Spinal Tap of Progressive Rock.
- Vocal Tag Team
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Roine
- Wolverine Publicity: Roine again. He's one of the biggest names in prog, and has made guest appearances on more prog records than you can shake a Slipperman at.