The Cat Empire is an Australian
latin/jazz/ska/funk/indie band formed in 1999. It began as a trio, composed of Ollie McGill, Felix Riebl and Ryan Monro, spawned from the nine-piece group Jazz Cat. After gigging around the Melbourne
jazz scene, the band grew in 2001, with the other present day members joining.
Known for their energetic live shows, the band has achieved critical acclaim both in Australia and abroad.Members:
- Felix Riebl: vocals and percussionist. Plays keys and sings with the band Felix Riebl and the Crashing Waters.
- Harry James Angus: vocals and trumpet player. Also part of Melbourne hip-hop group Jackson Jackson.
- Ollie McGill: keys, melodica and backing vocals.
- Ryan Monro: bass and backing vocals
- Will Hull-Brown: drums. Together with Monro and Mc Gill makes up the eclectic electronic jazz trio The Genie.
- DJ Jamshid "Jumps" Khadiwhala: decks and percussion.
The Empire Horns, a brass duo who accompany the band, consist of;
- Ross Irwin: trumpet
- Kieran Conrau: trombone
- The Cat Empire (2003)
- Two Shoes (2005)
- Cities: The Cat Empire Project (2006)
- So Many Nights (2007)
- Live on Earth (2009, live album)
- Cinema (2010)
- Steal The Light (2013)
This band and their music provide examples of:
- The Four Chords of Pop: Shows up in several tunes, such as "Know Your Name" and "No Mountain." The minor key version features in "The Lost Song and "Falling."
- Motor Mouth: Both Felix and Harry have their moments, most notably in Lullaby and Party Started.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: "Voodoo Cowboy," a song about a, well, Voodoo Cowboy, the lovechild of a snake and a scarecrow. Also, the band itself; latin/ska/funk/jazz/indie/rock/reggae...
- Ode to Intoxication: The Wine Song... "I'm drunk, I'm singing, I'm happy and loud!"
- Scatting: Harry loves to scat, and does it frequently - especially in live shows.
- Title Track: Two Shoes and So Many Nights on their respective albums.
- Unplugged Version: This versionof "Feeling's Gone"
- Vocal Tag Team: Harry and Felix share singing duties fairly equally.