Sylosis is a British Heavy Metal band formed in Reading, Berkshire. It was formed by guitarist Josh Middleton in 2000. They went through many lineup changes with little success due to a lack of an underground metal scene, only doing a few gigs and releasing an EP. The band's big break came in 2007, where they were signed by Nuclear Blast. Their critically acclaimed debut album Conclusion of an Age was released a year later. In 2010, their vocalist Jamie Graham parted with the band. Their sophomore album, Edge of the Earth featured Josh Middleton taking the helm as the band's lead vocalist along with guitar. Their third album Monolith was released a little over a year later in 2012, and Dormant Heart in early 2015.Their musical style can be described as a combination of Thrash Metal, Melodic Death Metal, and Progressive Metal.
- Josh Middleton - Lead guitar, Vocals
- Alex Bailey - Rhythm guitar
- Carl Parnell - Bass guitar
- Rob Callard - Drums
- Conclusion of an Age (2008)
- Edge of the Earth (2011)
- Monolith (2012)
- Dormant Heart (2015)
Sylosis provides examples of the following tropes:
- Epic Riff: A good majority of their songs.
- Epic Rocking
- In Your Nature to Destroy Yourselves: The theme of Conclusion of an Age is the collapse of civilization and the Earth returning to its natural state.
- The Grim Reaper: A hooded figure, implied to be the Grim Reaper, appears throughout the music video for After Lifeless Years.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: They have thrash-style playing, the aggression of death metal, the vocals of modern metalcore, and the tunings of melodic death metal. It's a pretty cool package.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 9.