Skelteria is a Thrash Metal
band from Dallas, TX. Although it is obscure, it has become somewhat viral in Europe thanks to a couple of webzines and it's video for "Dying Naked" being featured on failblog.org.
- 12/15/09 (demo) - 2009
- The Nightmare Begins - 2011
- Just For the Hell of It (EP) - 2012
- Skelteria - 2012
- Finally Live - 2013
- Evan Kotner: vocals, guitars, drum programming
- Chris Wise: lead guitar (2008-2009)
- Nathan Clough: bass (2010-2011)
- Mike Nestik: bass (2011-2012)
The band also had a cardboard robot/stage prop called UNIT#24601, formerly credited as an actual band member.
Skelteria shows these tropes:
- Album Title Drop: The Nightmare Begins.
- Animated Music Video: "The Nightmare Begins" and "Free Candy For All!!!" (Although the latter is more of a slideshow.)
- Author Appeal: Demonic imagery. And St. Trinity's bare feet.
- Careful With That Axe: Kotner's Seth-Putnam-esque screeches in "Incubus/Dark Harvest" and "Funeral For a Dream" are straightforward metal screams. In fact, this trope is featured more prominently in Skelteria than in any previous works.
- Cluster F-Bomb: from the song "Candy Corn Pumpkins"
Candy Corn Pumpkins, Candy Corn Pumpkins, Candy Corn Pumpkins, FUCK!
- Cover Album: The EP Just For the Hell of It borderlines on this.
- Does Not Like Shoes: St. Trinity is a barefooter.
- Dolled-Up Installment: "Inhaled Southern Darkforest" was originally recorded for a separate side project of the same name.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: "Filler of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"
- Dramatic Thunder: Used in the re-recorded version of "The Wettening".
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The 12/15/09 demo as listed:
- The drumming is 90% double-bass drumming with no tom-toms or crash-cymbals.
- Kotner's vocals sound like hardcore tough-guy-growling rather than the thrashy yelling-style that fans are familiar with.
- Kotner did not perform the guitar solos and instead downloaded generic solos and Dime-squeals by anonymous players.
- There are no bass lines.
- "Free Candy For All!!!" is the only recorded Skelteria song to feature a guest performance: a NOOOOOOO!!!! growl courtesy of Chase Paranormal from The Sever Display.
- Excited Show Title!!: "Free Candy For All!!!"
- Fake Shemp: In 2009, guitarist Chris Wise left the band before recording of the demo began, so Kotner downloaded generic guitar solos and "Dime-squeals" from the Internet and credited the performers as "Anonymous".
- A Hell of a Time: "Roasting Marshmallows on the Fires of Hell".
- I Am the Band: Skelteria was Evan Kotner, A Robot, and whoever he could find to play bass until he officially decided to make it a one-man band in 2012.
- Instrumentals: "Death" from the 12/15/09 demo, "Open the Coffin" from The Nightmare Begins, and the early guitar demo "Ear Killer".
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Averted: Kotner has stated numerous times that band's most notable song, "Dying Naked" is actually his favorite.
- Mascot/Metal Band Mascot: St. Trinity.
- Mind Screw: Skelteria's lyrics are typically written in a non-sequitir style. Ditto for the music videos.
- Miniscule Rocking: Many of Skelteria's songs are less than 3 minutes long.
- Precision F-Strike: Many songs contain at least one (literally).
- Rerelease the Song: Two songs from the 2009 demo, "The Wettening" and "St. Trinity", were re-recorded for the albums Just For the Hell of It and Skelteria respectively.
- Revolving Door Band: See I Am the Band, above.
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: from the song "Free Candy For All!!!"
played to summon Satan and passed the torch down to us!
- Sampling: "Taco Supreme" samples the beginning of the Beavis and Butt-Head episode "No Laughing." The "single version" adds another Beavis and Butt-Head clip to the song.
- Shout-Out: UNIT#24601 for Les Misérables. Also, Kotner has cited Detsörgsekälf as the inspiration for Skelteria's tongue-in-cheek style..
- The Southpaw: Evan Kotner is left-handed.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Midnight".
- Thrash Metal