It's what he likes.
"'She’s…she’s beautiful! Little in the middle, but with an ample derrière!' his anaconda whispers (by the way, I’m picturing his dick as a sock puppet). 'What a vision!' anaconda cries. 'An LA face, as well as an Oakland booty! We must compose a ballad about this gorgeous creature! Quickly, Sir Mix-a-Lot! Grab a pen!'"
Anthony Ray (1963-), better known by his stage name Sir Mix-a-Lot
, is most famous for the One-Hit Wonder
song "Baby Got Back". He's also a record producer, and has done a number of other songs. He's notable because, unlike most other rappers from the era, he's not associated with the violence that often plagues gangsta rappers.
He also was the narrator in the very short-lived The Watcher
, a show in UPN
's inaugural season.
- The Alleged Car: "My Hooptie" from Seminar.
Gotta roll this bucket cuz my Benz is in the shop!
- Berserk Button: In "Swap Meet Louie," he snaps, understandably, when he finds that people are selling bootlegged music amidst all the Shoddy Knock Off Products.
- Big "OMG!": At the very beginning of "Baby Got Back".
- Body Motifs: Guess what "Baby Got Back" is about.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: A famous interpretation of "Baby Got Back": love for the feminine rotund posterior makes a person incapable of lying.
- Cool Car: The Mercedes-Benz in "Posse on Broadway"
- Cool Shades
- Cluster F-Bomb: "Seattle Ain't Bullshittin'", a shockingly profane track.
- Dance Sensation: "Square Dance Rap"
- Drugs Are Bad: From "Posse on Broadway":
"Wheelin' 23rd we saw nuthin' but thugs
The girlies was too skinny from smokin' all them drugs
Cause the rock man got 'em and their butts just dropped
The freaks looked depressed 'cause the Benz won't stop"
- "I'm Your New God," which is about and rapped from the perspective of cocaine, qualifies as well.
- Heavy Meta: "A Rapper's Reputation"
- Hidden Depths: It should be noted that Mix has actually done quite a few conscious rap songs
- Homophobia: Although "Baby Got Back" was very popular of the gay community, most fans were horrified to hear Mix-A-Lot shouting "Punk ass, cake, faggot ass nigga!" in "Seatle Ain't Bullshittin'".
- Intercourse with You: "Baby Got Back," "Put 'Em on the Glass," "Ride"
- "King Kong" Climb: The Swass album cover shows Mix-A-Lot and two of his posse as giants perched atop Seattle buildings.
- Large Ham: "Baby Got Back" is very over-the-top.
- Male Gaze: "Baby Got Back". Even the Trope Image explains the content of the song.
- Nice Hat
- Old-School Chivalry: From "Posse On Broadway":
"Kid Sensation dropped a twenty, and didn't even miss it
Skeezer from another hood, she picked it up and kissed it
Her puppy's illin', he went to slap her face
But my homey P.O.B. cold sprayed the boy with mace
Cuz I never liked a punk who beat up on his girl..."
- One-Hit Wonder: "Baby Got Back" topped the Billboard charts and made him a household name, but he also had a couple underground hits before that: "Posse On Broadway" and "My Hooptie".
- Protest Song: "National Anthem"
- Rearrange the Song: A reworking of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" with the band Metal Church.
- Seattle: His hometown. He regularly references it.
- Shout-Out: Aside from the usual status symbols...
- In "Posse On Broadway" the crew ends up at Dick's, a legendary Seattle burger joint. (The Taco Bell was closed.)
- Also from "Posse on Broadway"
- In "Baby Got Back", a nod to Florence Griffith-Joyner.
- Jergens is namechecked in "Put 'Em On The Glass".
- Sir Verb-A-Lot
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: Take a guess.
- Take That: Many in "Baby Got Back":
- "I ain't talkin' bout Playboy, cuz silicone parts are made for toys."
- "Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda."
- "So Cosmonote says you're fat, well I ain't down with that."
- Token White: From "Posse On Broadway":
"Larry is the white guy who's lookin' kinda funny
A real estate investor who makes a lot of money."
- WTH, Costuming Department?: In interviews about the song, he's snarked pretty heavily about his outfit in the "Baby Got Back" video, saying that a somewhat heavyset black man in a dark brown suit, standing in the middle of a giant fake ass looks really, really wrong.