Shinya Terachi is the drummer of Dir En Grey, most famous for his early extreme Visual Kei look (Ambiguous Gender to the point some people did not know) and for being one of the most skilled drummers in the modern Japanese Hard Rock / Heavy Metal scene (and for sharing a name with the equally talented drummer of Luna Sea, Shinya Yamada).He has recently began performing with other Visual Kei acts as a session drummer, including a recent performance with Kamijo ex-Versailles, and another one with other musicians backing for Toshi in a solo performance as the "Crystal Rock Knights."
Shinya provides examples of:
- All Drummers Are Animals: Usually downplayed, which is very odd for a Visual Kei drummer; in contrast to drummers like Yoshiki and Kai of The Gazette. He has his moments, though.
- Ambiguous Gender: Probably the most so of all of Dir en grey. Even after dropping Visual Kei when Dir en grey went post-visual, he maintained and still maintains a slight, almost feminine waifish appearance. While the band was visual (and even up until now), he looked so female that some people actually assumed that he was a female drag king.
- Ambiguously Bi: There's rumors of this, mostly because he hasn't been affiliated with any woman for the last 10 years after one girlfriend with whom he had a very bad breakup.
- Ascended Fanboy: Of his mentor Yoshiki Hayashi, as well as being a near-expy of him at points (from the feminine VK style of his youth to his drumming skill and style, all of it is very influenced by Yoshiki).
- Beware the Nice Ones: While he is the nicest person among his bandmates, he tends to trash his dressing rooms and similar, and there's been documented photographic evidence of his having done so.
- Biseinen: What he is in recent years, though he comes across as looking like a Bifauxnen in many photos.
- Bishōnen: Was this when he was younger and went with slightly more masculine appearance.
- Butt Monkey: Early on, if the band was filmed messing around, it was always at his expense...
- Cuteness Proximity: His dog, and many other cute things. He tends to pose with puppies and kittens...
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: See above. He is The Chick of Dir En Grey, even post-Visual.
- Expy: Probably the most blatant Yoshiki clone in the active Visual Kei scene. Somewhat (if not completely) explained by the band's having been signed by and having worked with Yoshiki, and that he was The Mentor to Shinya as a drummer and a visual musician.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: During the band's most Visual phases, along with the others.
- Follow the Leader: See all of the above entries. For much of Shinya's early career, he was basically this to Yoshiki. He would later become more varied and less blatantly cloning him, until he established his own image in the mid-2000s.
- Guyliner: Along with eyeshadow, powder, mascara, and more, being the most Visual member of the band. Apparently he still uses makeup, as seen in many live and offstage videos.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has always been.
- The Mentor: Yoshiki Hayashi was a huge influence on Shinya's style, skill, and more - they were known to work the most closely together when Yoshiki had signed the band.
- Ojou Ringlets: One of his most eccentric hairstyles. Dropped them once the band went post-Visual, but in recent years he has been curling his hair more and more.
- Older Than They Look: Very much so - he looks to be in his late twenties or early 30s at most.
- Recursive Crossdressing: His dress style combined with his slender physique makes him appear tomboyish as opposed to masculine.
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music: Inverted, in regard to his public image of being "cute" anyway.
- Shrinking Violet: Shinya is very, very, VERY shy. The only known person closest to him is fellow bandmate Kyo, who is also a Shrinking Violet.
- Stage Names: He goes mononymously by his given name.
- Surprisingly Good English
- Uncommon Time: His drumming is well-known for highly complex rhythms and excessive use of syncopation.
- Visual Kei: Went post-Visual, but still associated with the scene.
- His performance with Toshi's jam band "Crystal Rock Knights" had him with a full Visual Kei look, reminiscent of Yoshiki's 1990s styles.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He was the finest example of Lolita kei during his time — arguably as feminine, if not, more than Mana of Malice Mizer was. Had he not dropped his Visual style, he could have evoked as much Viewer Gender Confusion as more contemporary artists like Miyavi, Hizaki of Versailles, Bou of An Cafe and ex-SEREMEDY guitarist YOHIO.