Schwarz Stein were a Darkwave Visual Kei
duo formed by musician Hora
and singer Kaya
, active from 2001 to 2004, with a brief reunion in 2011. Visual Kei
's answer to the Pet Shop Boys
, they were one of few acts in the movement not to play rock or metal, specializing exclusively in electronica.
Formed as Rudolf Steiner in 2001, they were signed to Mana
's Midi:nette label in 2002. Re-christened as Schwarz Stein, two albums followed, both produced by Mana. Despite their quick success, the duo split due to (genuine) Creative Differences
in 2004. The divorce was an amicable one, and they've continued to collaborate since, primarily on several of Kaya's solo releases.
They've reunited as a duo twice: as Another Cell
in 2006, and as Schwarz Stein
in 2011 for a one-off concert to celebrate their tenth anniversary. This was accompanied by the release of a new EP, Recurrence of Hallucination
- Hora: Keyboards, programming
- Kaya: Vocals, lyrics
Tropes applying to Schwarz Stein and their music:
- New vogue children (2003)
- Artificial Hallucination (2004)
- Recurrence of Hallucination (EP, 2011)
- Blank White Eye: Hora.
- Breakup Breakout: Both Kaya and Hora have had good careers after Schwarz Stein disbanded, but it's hard to contest that Kaya's become much more well-known.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Most people are able to figure out that Hora is a guy at first glance. Kaya? Not so much.
- Facial Markings: Hora.
- Gratuitous English
- Gratuitous German
- Harsh Vocals: In "BIO GENESIS", "Succubus", and "Beautiful the Virgin".
- Impractically Fancy Outfit
- Improbable Hairstyle: Especially Kaya.
- Miniscule Rocking: "Schism" (1:18) from Artificial Hallucination and "the alternation of generations -conception-" (0:46) and "the alternation of generations -increase-" (1:03), the intro and outro songs from New vogue children.
- Mismatched Eyes: Hora.
- Multicolored Hair: Hora, with his half-black half-white hair.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Kaya.
- Only One Name
- Pimped-Out Dress: Worn by Kaya.
- Rearrange the Song: There are three versions of "Perfect Garden"—the demo version (released while they were still Rudolf Steiner), the single version, and "Perfect Garden -SK0520MIX-" from Artificial Hallucination.
- Red Eye, Take Warning: Hora.
- Self-Backing Vocalist
- Spiky Hair: Hora.
- Stage Names
- Title Track: "New vogue children".
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Kaya, for a certain definition of "wholesome", anyway...