Rick Dees is an American radio host. His Weekly Top 40
competed with Casey Kasem
's American Top 40
. Dees also contributed to the USA Today
syndicated radio program, as an entertainment reporter. He is also well known for his #1 hit single "Disco Duck," a Satire
of the Disco
trend, credited to Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots. He has been married to voice actress Julie McWhirter
- Catch Phrase:
- Guttural Growler: He switched to this voice to say the title of his gossip segment "Dees Sleaze."
- Opening Narration: A Parody/Pastiche in which John Williams' score from Superman: The Movie underscored this riff on the old serials:
Capable of bending records with his bare hands.
Able to tell tall tales in a single breath.
It's Super Dees! Yes, Super Dees, Strange Visitor from another neighborhood, and who, disguised as Rick Dees, mild-mannered disc jockey, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the pursuit of loose women.
- Parody Commercial: An "ad" announced the release of a new Comedy album, Hurt Me Baby. Make Me Write Bad Checks. On what record label? Why, No Budget of course!
- Punny Name: Recurring characters in The Eighties includes "radio aerobics" instructor Jane Fondle (Jane Fonda) and regular caller John Revolting (John Travolta).
- Satire: "Disco Duck" was this for the Disco genre.
- Sexy Secretary: Candy, The Ditz, wore a bikini for her first day on the job.
- Sound Effect Bleep: Using the sound "cuckoo."
- Verbal Tic: In "Rick Dees Top 40," senior-sounding male character only says one word: "Yes." This was convenient when Yes had a hit on the chart.