Passion Pit is an American indie rock/pop band formed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 2007. The band consists of Michael Angelakos (lead vocals, keyboards), Ian Hultquist (keyboards, guitar), Xander Singh (synthesizer, samples), Jeff Apruzzese (bass, synth bass), and Nate Donmoyer (drums). Their released albums include Chunk of Change, Manners, Gossamer, and Kindred.Since the release of Gossamer in 2012, they have had a surge in popularity, with increased radio play and an appearance on Saturday Night Live.Needs Wiki Magic Love, Needs Tropes
Tropes associated with this band include:
- Awesome McCoolname: Michael Angelakos. Actually, everyone in the band, for that matter.
- Creator Breakdown: Michael went through an especially harsh one during the recording and release of Gossamer, going through Bipolar Disorder and cancelling tour dates.
- Genre-Busting: Their music is an upbeat fusion of Indie Rock, Pop, Electronica, Synthpop, and Psychedellic Rock.
- Grand Romantic Gesture: As part of the Masochism Tango, "Carried Away"'s music video contains several. Among them are waiting outside the door in the rain (invoked, since he's holding a sprinkler over his head) and hiring a skywriter to apologize.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Their melodies tend to be much cheerier than their lyrics or videos. Michael Angelakos has admitted in interviews that this is quite intentional.
- Loudness War: Gossamer is MUCH louder and has worse clipping than Manners. It is especially heard in "I'll Be Alright".
- Masochism Tango: "Carried Away"'s music video is about a couple going through this, constantly fighting and making up.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 2-3.
- Ninja Prop: In the video for "Carried Away," the couple grabs the subtitles and uses them to... smash other subtitles.
- Non-Appearing Title: "The Reeling", "To Kingdom Come", "Cry Like a Ghost", others.
- The Oner: "Take A Walk"'s music video is designed to invoke this. It follows the POV of a bouncing ball through a city. Obviously it isn't actually one shot, but several spliced together to make the same effect with no cuts.
- Precision F-Strike: "Ten Feet Tall" drops a Mother F-Bomb, though it's hard to make out due to Michael;s voice being Autotuned into oblivion.
- Romantic Rain: Invoked in the music video for "Carried Away". The video showcases two lovers who are constantly fighting, but the man keeps redeeming himself by invoking many romance movie cliches. At one point, he stands at her door in what seems to be a downpour... except that the water is coming from a hose and it's perfectly clear out.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Michael. He hits some insanely high notes, but his speaking voice is actually pretty normal.
- The Something Song: "Seaweed Song".
- Title Only Chorus: Take a walk, take a walk, take a walk...
- Unplugged Version: The extended edition of Manners provides "stripped down" versions of "Sleepyhead" and "Moth's Wings".
- Kindred also has a few unplugged/acoustic versions among its bonus tracks.