Oathean (pronounced oh-THEEN) are a Korean Black Metal
/Melodic Death Metal
band forming in 1993 under the name Odin
before changing in 1996, characterized by their use of Korean Folk instruments used alongside their music.
In 1998, they released their debut album on a now defunct label, later hiring keyboardist Hae-ryung Gu for the 2001 effort, under Do Su's personal label, Jusin Productions. Although they have toured with big name Metal bands like Kreator
and Cannibal Corpse
, they still remained a very underground band. For the 2004 effort, they tried to hit a more international fan-base, but have failed, and still remained a very obscure band, even when they were signed with the American label The End Records.
After a few more tours in Japan and Korea, they released Regarding all the Sadness Of The World
in 2008. Although known only in Korean circles, they managed to get a bigger fan-base at least in Eastern Asia. The Self Titled was released in 2010, and they are currently touring once again.
On October 11, 2013, they announced a followup in the works.
- Kim Do-Su (Rhythm Guitar Vocal) (1993-Present)
- Cho Samuel (Lead Guitar) (?-Present)
- Park Mie Sun (Bass) (?-Present)
- Jung Young Shin (Drums) (2013-Present)
There is also a YMMV page.
- The Eyes of Tremendous Sorrow (1998)
- Ten Days in Lachrymation (2001)
- When All Memories Are Shattered (EP) (2001)
- Fading Away into the Grave of Nothingness (2004)
- Regarding All the Sadness of the World (2008)
- Oathean (2010)
- TBA (2014)
This band displays the examples of the following: