Music / Nerf Herder
Nerf Herder are a pop punk band that started in 1994 and, possibly best known among tropers for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme song
. They have released four studio albums and two EPs as well as being featured on many compilations. It was also where Parry Gripp
got his start, before his solo career of the 2000s.
Nerf Herder's songs contain examples of the following tropes
- A Date with Rosie Palms: "Doin' Laundry" and the other songs listed under Caught with Your Pants Down
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the song, "Sorry", the narrator describes showing up at an ex's wedding, screwing up a picture, and having sex with the ex's sister.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Again the song "Sorry" and "High School". The former describes A Date with Rosie Palms in front of someone's window and the latter describes it behind the backstop while the team plays.
- Creator Career Self-Deprecation: In "Pantera Fans In Love", he talks about how Punk rockers can't sing
- Goshdang It To Heck: The whole song "Oh Me Oh My".
- Growing Up Sucks: The "High School" song. School is pointless, no one shows up, A Date with Rosie Palms gone wrong.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Most songs are from the point of view of one.
- Leit Motif: Describing women's lips as a certain shade of pink- Annalee and Lamer Than Lame
- Nerds Are Sexy: "Vivian" is about a guy who wants to be in a relationship with a bespectacled med student.
- Shout-Out: The band's name is to Star Wars. "Welcome to My World" has many to old sitcoms/shows. To Van Halen, Pantera, Phil Collins, Kenny G, other bands/singers. "She's a Sleestak" refers to Land of the Lost and "Mr. Spock" to Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Siamese Twin Songs: "Pantera Fans In Love" and "5000 Ways To Die"
- Spelling Song: In "Jonathan" they spell girlfriend without a few letters.
- Stalking Is Love: See Stalker with a Crush
- Stalker with a Crush: Many songs, specifically "Feeling Bad" and "Lamer Than Lame". "Pervert" is an even creepier version, as he describes wanting to smell her underwear and taking pictures of her in the bathroom among other things.
- Sweet Tooth: The protagonist of "I Only Eat Candy" refuses to eat both meat and vegetables, and seems to have no motivation at all other than eating candy.
- This Loser Is You: Working at Radio shack, wearing elastic waist band pants, playing video games, etc.