Natasja Saad (professionally known as Natasja or Little T) was a Sudanese-Danish dancehall/Conscious Hip Hop
/reggae artist. A practising Muslim, she not only faced racism and islamophobia from white Danes, but was also bashed by radical Muslims for refusing to be The Fundamentalist
, instead being an outspoken leftist and feminist. She also refused to write the homophobic lyrics common in the dancehall scene.
While she was alive, she was very underground in Denmark, although Jamaicans loved her
. After her death by car crash, though, she got extremely popular
Natasja and her music provides examples of:
I know exactly where I stand
In Sudan, I'm a pale-face
And in Denmark, the black sheep
- Hidden Depths: Her lyrics are reminiscent of Rage Against the Machine, but she was actually a religious Muslim, as well.
- Poe's Law: The song "Gi' Mig Danmark Tilbage" ("Give Me Denmark Back")'s title sounds like the song is nationalistic, when it's really the opposit (see below). This was Exploited by the Danish People's Party who had "Give Us Denmark Back" as a slogan for a while (they, of course, denied it having anything to do with the song). Natasja was death then, but it was taken to court by people aroung her. They didn't win.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "Gi' Mig Danmark Tilbage" ("Give Me Denmark Back") is a rapid-fire rant against the Danish People's Party.
- You Go Girl: Apparently, as of "I Danmark Er Jeg Født" ("In Denmark I Was Born"), she dreamed of reforming Sudan and turning it into an egalitarian country. "Full gallop through the hot desert wind/But the horse is stolen, bought by bin Laden/I win the race as the first woman/And Sudan is rejoicing"
- The Stoner: She was rather vocal about smoking weed. Just look at this.◊
- Spell My Name with an "S": Natasja is a common Danish spelling of Natasha.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Karen Mukupa◊.