An Alternative/Industrial Metal band from Cleveland, Ohio formed in 1993 in Cleveland Warehouse District. The band was originally established as a sideproject; to differentiate itself from the members' existing bands and to dispel any misconceptions about the group's sound and musical content, Mushroomhead used costumes, masks, and pseudonyms.The band's imagery and energetic live shows resulted in both a good relationship with the band GWAR and a feud with Slipknot, which was largely a Fandom Rivalry due to fans perceiving a similarity between the two bands' respective images, and the fact that both bands have a large amount of members (currently 7) to accent an atmospheric sound. Soundwise, however, the two bands couldn't be more different; keyboards play heavily into Mushroomhead's sound.
- Jeffrey Hatrix (Jeffrey Nothing) - clean vocals (1993-present)
- Jason Popson (J Mann) - harsh vocals (1993-2004, 2013-present)
- Tommy Church - guitar (2012-present)
- Ryan Farrell (Dr. F) - bass (2012-present)
- Rick Thomas (ST1TCH) - turntables, samples, programming, (2001-present) custom percussion (2006-present
- Steve Felton (Skinny) - drums (1993-present)
- Robbie Godsey (Roberto Diablo) - drums, custom percussion (2013-Present)
- Joe Lenkey (DJ Virus) - turntables, electronics, samples (1993-1995)
- Joe Kilcoyne (Mr. Murdernickel) - bass guitar (1993-1995)
- Richie Moore (Dinner) - guitars (1993-1999)
- John Sekula (J.J. Righteous) - guitar (1993-2001)
- Marko Vukcevich (Bronson) - guitars, (2001-2006), turntables, samples (1995-2001), dancing (1993-1995)
- Jessica Haney (Roxy) - dancing (1993-2000, dancing, no musical contributions)
- Dave Felton (Gravy) - guitars (1999-2012)
- Jack Kilcoyne (Pig Benis) - bass (1995-2012)
- Daniel Fox (2009-2012)
- Waylon Reavis (Waylon) - vocals (2004-2015)
- Tom Schmitz (Shmotz) - keyboard (1993-2015)
Major label studio albums
- XX (2001)
- XIII (2003)
- Savior Sorrow (2006)
- Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children (2010)
- The Righteous & the Butterfly (2014)
Mushroomhead provides examples of the following tropes:
open/close all folders
The band members themselves/live performance
- Crisis of Faith: Like the below example, this is often found in Mushroomhead's works. Though it's typically in the form of a deconstruction or subversion, in the decision that the faith they had is no longer needed (or is drastically changed). "The Need" is a good example of this tropes deconstruction
- Restored My Faith in Humanity: Many works deal with trying to invoke this, or hoping for this, with the best examples perhaps being "Save Us" and "Embrace The Ending". Though subverted in that faith in humanity itself isn't truly restored, more that there's a deep hope for humanity to live up to its potential.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They usually write songs in the 6 to 8 range.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: They are an Alternative Metal outfit that mix Industrial, Goth, Rap, Electronica, Punk, and even Death Metal into a unique sound
- Sampling: Their early albums featured samples from such films and TV series as Twin Peaks, Ed Wood, Se7en, Reservoir Dogs, The Silence of the Lambs, Reefer Madness, Waynes World and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- Soprano and Gravel: Jeffrey usually handles a lot of the singing, while J Mann tends to favor shouts and screams. Waylon could utilize both.