Music: Motion City Soundtrack
Motion City Soundtrack is a Minneapolis-based pop-punk band, founded in 1997. The band is comprised of founding members Justin Pierre (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Joshua Cain (lead guitar, backing vocals), as well as Matthew Taylor (bass guitar, backing vocals), Jesse Johnson (synthesizer, keyboard, headbanging), and Claudio Rivera (drums). They have so far released five albums: I Am the Movie (2002), Commit This to Memory (2005), Even if It Kills Me (2007), and My Dinosaur Life (2010); their fifth album, Go, was released in June 2012. MCS combines rock music and Moog synthesizers, making for a unique sound. Their songs are also notable for their quirky (and sometimes pottymouthed) lyrics. Word of God says that the band can be categorized as Scrabble-rock, because of Pierre's love for big words.
These examples freak you out:
- Adorkable: Justin, by a long shot.
- Book Ends: Used hauntingly in "Happy Anniversary". ("I can feel it in my bones tonight...")
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Justin, for a long time. From the conception of the band until about 2007, Justin was a massive alcoholic and engaged in behaviors that we very destructive to both himself and the band. Nonetheless, it was tolerated because of his talent as a singer and songwriter. He has since cleaned up his act, though.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Justin isn't weird, he's just, uh, quirky.
And she says hey!I rock the Haro sport, I rock the cowgirl bluesI rock too fast for love I'm footloose in my velcro shoesWhat's up with Will and Grace? I don't get drum and bassThe future freaks me out
- The love interest of "The Future Freaks Me Out"
Let's get wrecked on Pop-Tarts and sex and see the Taj MahalLet's save birds from Prince William Sound and skateboard through the mallLet's fight crime with mangos and lime and join the PGALet's win big with every spin but hurry I can't waitDo you spend a fortune on those late night prepaid television scamsIn search of the perfect blender, steak knife, and non-stick frying pan?
- Justin shows a flash of this in "It Had to Be You" when he starts singing borderline nonsense in the middle of a Breakup Song
- Cluster F-Bomb: Several songs, but most prominently "@!#?@!".
You all need to go awayyou motherfuckers!You all need to leave me and my sensitive homeboys alone
- "@!#?@!" is also an interesting case of Lampshade Hanging—he's actually telling off a group of jerks for being foul-mouthed.
- It's Not You, It's Me: The Conversation
- Lampshade Hanging
I want to thank you for being a part of myIs it legal to do this?I surely don't knowIt's the only way I have learned to express myselfThrough other people's descriptions of life
- As mentioned above, "@!#?@!."
- As well as "LG FUAD" for using a line from another song:
- Long Runner Line Up: They've had the same line-up since 2002.
- Until 2013 when drummer Tony Thaxton left.
- Love Nostalgia Song: A few, including "Last Night" and "Fell in Love Without You."
Last night I fell in love without youI waved good-bye to that heart of mine beating solo on your lawnEvery aching wound will cauterize and bruiseIn memory of what we used to call in loveAnd only time will tell if violins will swellIn memory of what we used to call in loveWe used to call it love
- In "Fell in Love Without You"
It felt like a dreamA beautiful screamThat echoed forever and made us not afraid to feel a thingAnd after it endsWe'll try to be friendsWe'll try to be friendsThey say that what doesn't kill us makes us who we are
- "It Had to Be You" can be taken as this
- Messy Hair: Justin Pierre's.
- Punny Name: The band's name could possibly be a play on the term "original motion picture soundtrack".
- Science Fair: The video for "Her Words Destroyed My Planet".
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
For a physical challenge I'm notoriously boredIntravenous delivery, electrolytes and more
- An example in "This is For Real"
I wanna know what it's like to be awkward and innocent, not belligerentI wanna know how it feels to be useful and pertinent and have common sense, yeah
- "L.G. FUAD"
You're the leaky sink of sentiment, you're the failed attempts I never could forgetYou're the metaphors I can't create to comprehend this curse that I call love
- "Hold Me Down"
Every aching wound will cauterize and bruise
- "Fell in Love Without You"
- The Oner: The videos for A Lifeless Ordinary and True Romance. Done with a twist in True Romance, as it's actually two oners spliced together, both filmed backwards.
- Shout-Out: Fairly often, especially on theIr fourth album, My Dinosaur Life