Music: Marc Bolan
aka: T Rex
- "Well it's plain to see
You were meant for me
Yeah, I'm your toy
Your 20th Century boy"
—T. Rex, "20th Century Boy"
Marc Bolan, born Mark Feld (1947-1977) was a British singer-songwriter, guitarist, and poet. and one of the leading pioneers of Glam Rock. Bolan was mostly known for his band T.Rex.As usual, you can find the basics about his life and career at The Other Wiki.
"Well you're slim and you're weak you've got the tropes of a Hydra upon you...":
- Album Title Drop: From "Frowning Atahualpa""My people were fair and had sky in their hair
But now they're content to wear stars on their brows."
- Continuity Nod: From "Sound Pit":"Metal Guru's in the loo with my glue, yeah
Telegram Sam bought some land in Milan"
- Dance Sensation: "The Woodland Bop"
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Friendly Rivalry: Had this with David Bowie for pretty much all of his career, which also included a couple of collaborations.
- Frogs and Toads: From "New York City":"Did you ever see a woman coming out of New York City with a frog in her hand?"
"Hiding in the road
- Crossed with a Shout-Out, from "Chariot Choogle":
Like a Pasolini toad"
- Genre Shift: Started as a hippie folk band called Tyrannosaurus Rex before switching to Glam.
- Moved from glam to an almost disco style for Zinc Alloy And The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow, then reverted back for his last album, Dandy In The Underworld.
- Glam Rock
- Intercourse with You: "Get It On (Bang A Gong)", of course.
"You're just a sexual glider."
- "Buick Mackane," from The Slider, comes right out and says it:
- Irony: Despite writing many songs about cars, Bolan never learned to drive because he was horrified of the possibility that he would die in a car accident. He died in a car accident, as the passenger.
- Long Title: My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair...But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows
- Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow- A Creamed Cage in August
- Misblamed: Many think "Get It On" was retitled "Bang A Gong" for the US single release as the original title was considered too overtly sexual. In actually, it was retitled to avoid being confused with the Chase song "Get It On".
- The Movie: 1972's Born to Boogie
- The Musical: 2011's 20th Century Boy
- Nice Hat: On the cover of The Slider
- Pre-Columbian Civilizations: Crossed with Department of Redundancy Department: "My lovely Inca love" is mentioned in "Frowning Atahualpa."
- Repurposed Pop Song: "20th Century Boy" was used in a Levi's commercial starring Brad Pitt.
- Rhyming with Itself: From "Frowning Atahualpa""Sitting all alone, looking at the throne of the one I used to love
Sitting all alone, looking at the stone of my lovely Inca love"
- Socrates is mentioned in "Chateau in Virginia Waters."
- The line "Meanwhile, I'm still thinking" at the end of "Get It On (Bang a Gong)" is from Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie".
- Bob Dylan, John Lennon and DJ Alan Freed are all mentioned in "Ballrooms Of Mars."
- Also received a few:
- Mott the Hoople's "All The Young Dudes" includes the line "Why do I need TV when I've got T. Rex"
- The Who's "You Better You Bet" includes the line, "I've got your body on my mind but I've drunk myself blind to the sound of old T. Rex"
- His friend Elton John paid tribute to him in his song, "I'm Going To Be A Teenage Idol".
- Although he's not named, it's fairly clear that he's the subject of David Bowie's "Lady Stardust," working title "Song for Marc."
- In the Ramones' "Do You Remember Rock'n Roll Radio?", there's these lines: "Do you remember Jerry Lee / John Lennon, T. Rex and Ol' Moultynote ?"
- Shown Their Work: "Left Hand Luke" includes the line, "Myxomatosis is an animal's disease," which it, in fact, is, specifically one that affects rabbits.
- Single Stanza Song: "Broken Hearted Blues", among MANY examples, especially on the pre-Electric Warrior albums.
- Something Blues: "Organ Blues," "Lean Woman Blues," "Broken Hearted Blues"
- Take That: "Shock Rock":"If you know how to rock you don't have to shock"
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Bolan tragically died in a car accident just before he was to turn 30.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Well, duh. It was only the band's original name.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Too many examples. Read the lyrics to ANY of his albums.