Man Or Astro-man? are a mostly instrumental band from Auburn Alabama, they are known for combining the surf rock style of the early sixties with various samples of old, kitsch sci-fi movies, with a decided punk edge that has become more prominent over time. They're also known for covering Mystery Science Theater 3000
's "love theme". Their connection to the show runs fairly deep, as many of the aformentioned samples of kitsch sci-fi come from movies that were riffed on MST 3 K
, and Joel Hodgson has done pyrotechnics for the band's stage shows. The main members of the band go by Star Crunch (guitar, and vocals when those come up), Birdstuff (drums), and Coco the Electronic Monkey Wizard (bass & electronics). Other members have joined and left the band over the years.
- Is it....Man, or Astro-man?
- Project Infinity
- Intravenous Television Continuum
- Experiment Zero
- Made From Technetium
- EEVIAC Operational Index and Reference Guide, Including Other Modern Computational Devices
- A Spectrum of Infinite Scale
- A Spectrum of Finite Scale
- Defcon 5...4...3...2...1...
- Anonymous Band: None of them are credited by their real names. In fact, you've got to dig to discover who's who.
- Cover Version: Several, from Echo and the Bunnymen, to David Bryne, to Dick Dale
- Educational Song: They've covered "Interplanet Janet" from "Schoolhouse Rock"
- Genre Throwback: After a series of increasingly experimental and abstract albums, their latest one is a return to their Made From Technetium style.
- Hidden Track: Several, most of which are several minutes of silence followed by a brief joke.
- Long Runners: They've been touring and putting out albums since the early '90s.
- Machine Monotone: When they have vocals, they often try to evoke this or Creepy Monotone.
- Mohs Scaleof Rockand Metal Hardness: Around 6 or 7.
- New Sound Album: "Made from Technetium" was a darker and grittier album compared to their previous works, and their last three albums have each been more abstract than the last.
- No Hit Wonder: They've had one actual hit: "A Simple Text File", which is just a dot-matrix printer "singing". Otherwise, they make it on touring and their rabidly loyal fans.
- Recycled IN SPACE - Surf Rock. IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
- Sampling - of old sci-fi
- Self-Titled Album - Is it....Man, or Astro-man?
- The Band Minus the Face: Averted; the members stay fairly deliberately anonymous, so if one needs to leave, the band doesn't fall apart.