Music: Juno And Avos
A Soviet rock opera that premiered in 1981 in the Lenkom theater. It was written by Alexei Rybnikov, with poetry by Andrei Voznesensky. It tells the story of an older Russian noblemen, Nikolai Rezanov, who went on an expedition to Californa, where he met the 15 year old daughter of Jose Dario Arguelo, the colonial governor of the Spanish territories in California, and fell in love with her.The rock opera is based on a true story, and is named after the two ships which sailed in Rezanov's expedition. it was very popular when it premiered and remains quite popular today.
- Bilingual Bonus: Some parts of the opera are in untranslated Spanish.
- Born in the Wrong Century: Rezanov sais this about himself and the whole his generation.
- BSOD Song: "Bring the maps of the newly discovered lands..."
- Dark Reprise: During Rezanov's engagement with Conchita, plays surprisingly dark version of "You Will Never Forget Me" song.
- Downer Ending
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Federico.
- The Faceless: In the stage version, Count Rumyantsev always wear a creepy golden mask, although he's rather a symbol of a heartless Imperial bureaucracy then an actual villain.
- Foreshadowing: Conchita's song "White Wild Roses" predicts the Downer Ending of her own story.
- May-December Romance: Rezanov and Conchita.
- Ominous Church Slavonic Chanting.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Rezanov's last song.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Rezanov and Conchita, and the lovers from the "White Wild Roses" song.
- Somewhere Song: Rezanov's aria.The New Lands give us brand new start,Where a new race will find its heart.It's the New World, trust us,Free of money and injustice!