Music: John Michael Montgomery
John Michael Montgomery (born January 20, 1965) is a Country Music singer who was highly popular in the first half of The Nineties. Montgomery got his start in the band Early Tymz, which also featured his brother Eddie and their friend, Troy Gentry, who would later become the duo Montgomery Gentry.John Michael started his career in 1992 with the Top 5 hit "Life's a Dance", followed immediately by the crossover ballad "I Love the Way You Love Me". In 1993, he scored an even bigger crossover with "I Swear", another ballad whose popularity was futher fueled by a cover by the R&B group All-4-One. Montgomery spent the rest of the 90's charting Top 5 hits aplenty, although his momentum slowed some by 1999. He notched one more #1 in 2000 with "The Little Girl", based on an Urban Legend about a girl comforted by Jesus after witnessing her parents' death from Domestic Abuse. His label, Atlantic, closed not long after that song's release, so he moved to Warner Bros. Records in 2001. He scored one more comeback hit in 2004 with the patriotic "Letters from Home", but once again faded from the limelight, outside a brief return in 2008 with the self-released Time Flies.Montgomery's repertoire includes plenty of slick country-pop ballads such as "I Swear" and "I Can Love You Like That" (All-4-One also covered the latter), tempered with honky-tonk uptempos such as "Be My Baby Tonight" and "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident)."
- Auction: The setting of "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident)".
- Breakup Breakout: From Early Tymz.
- Covered in Kisses: In "Cover You in Kisses", he offers this as a way to keep his lover warm.
- Disappeared Dad: In "No Man's Land", a single mother is struggling to raise a family with the dad entirely out of the picture.
- Domestic Abuse: The protagonist of "The Little Girl" witnesses an abusive parent
- Dual Meaning Chorus: "It Rocked". The title refers first to a rocking chair, then a kiss, then a band.
- Just Friends: Played with on "Friends". She says that she wants to be "just friends" now, but he can't take it because "Friends get scattered by the wind, tossed up on the waves / Lost for years on end…"
- Motor Mouth: "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident)" has a very rapid-fire chorus, no doubt to imitate an auctioneer's call.
- The Picture Came With The Frame: "That's Not Her Picture" ("…it came with the wallet").
- The Power of Love: "If You've Got Love":If you've got love, you can move a mountain
A little further down the line
You can move it all at once or one rock at a time
You can turn an ordinary picture into a priceless work of art
That's what you can do if you've got love in your heart
- Spelling Song: "Hello L. O. V. E.", but that's the only part where any spelling is involved.
- Urban Legends: "The Little Girl" is based on one circulated via e-mail about a girl who claims to see Jesus while witnessing the murder-suicide of her parents.
- Vocal Evolution: His voice was a little higher on "Life's a Dance" but soon settled into his familiar baritone. By the release of Time Flies, it got even deeper still.