"...like futuristic beats deconstructed by cavemen."
— Jason Lymangrover, AllMusic.com
Justice is an Electro House
duo consisting of the Frenchmen Gaspard Augé and Xavier de Rosnay. They have a unique style of Electro House heavily influenced by funk and disco.
They have released four albums:
- † (Cross, 2007)
- The live album A Cross the Universe (2008)
- Audio, Video, Disco (2011)
- Acess All Arenas (2013)
Along with one EP:
Apart from the disco and funk influences of electro house, their style has been thought of as having some heavy metal influence and combines cut-up bass lines with a compressed and distorted synth sound. Their music often includes bass slapping.
This band provides examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon: The "Civilization" video
- Alliterative Title: Access All Arenas
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Former labelmate Uffie on "Tthhee Ppaarrttyy.".
- Bilingual Bonus: "Audio, Video, Disco" is at first glance a simply musically-inclined Word Salad Title; it's actually Latin for "I hear, I see, I learn".
- Calvinball: The music video for New Lands starts off as a Baseball game...Then quickly adds lacrosse, roller derby, and American Football.
- Coolest Club Ever: The subject of "The Party" and "DVNO".
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Crosses and Christian iconography feature hugely in their work.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: As stated above; A Cross the Universe.
- Lighter and Softer: Audio, Video, Disco was meant to be a "daylight album" when compared to †, according to Word of God.
- Looped Lyrics: "Audio! Audio! Audio! Video disco!"
- Loudness War: This is the trademark sound of Ed Banger Records in general, but Justice take compression to its absolute limits.
- Lucky Charms Title: †.
- New Sound Album: † is gritty, buzzy electronic dance. Audio, Video, Disco is mainly progressive rock.
- Not Christian French House: They are Christian, and they have a prominent cross motif, and some of their titles have a Biblical slant...but it doesn't seem to get any deeper than that. The only lyrics on †, for example, are about a dancing girl and going to the club.
- The Oner: The video for "Audio, Video, Disco".
- Punny Name: DVNO doesn't stand for anything. It's actually a pun on the name, "El Divino".
- Sampling: † featured samples from over 400 albums!
- Signature Style: Are you hearing electro house with blatant funk influences and distorted, chopped up pianos? You gotta be listening to Justice, then.
- Shout-Out: "D.A.N.C.E"'s lyrics make several references to Michael Jackson.
- It's fun to try and spot the basis for all the spoof Vanity Plates in the DVNO music video.
- Song Allusion Title: A Cross the Universe to "Across the Universe".
- Spelling Song: "D.A.N.C.E".