Garth Brooks In...The Life Of Chris Gaines
(also known as Chris Gaines: Greatest Hits
) is an album released by Garth Brooks
in 1999 as a prequel soundtrack to an upcoming movie called The Lamb
. It proved to be an unpopular album with his longtime fans (though he did manage to score a #1 hit with the song "Lost In You"), and plans for the movie fell through because of it
- "That's the Way I Remember It"
- "Lost in You"
- "Snow in July"
- "Driftin' Away"
- "Way of the Girl"
- "Unsigned Letter"
- "It Don't Matter to the Sun"
- "Right Now"
- "Main Street"
- "White Flag"
- "Digging for Gold"
- "My Love Tells Me So"
This work provides examples of
- All There in the Manual: Chris Gaines' life is described in the liner notes: he was born in Australia to an Olympic swim coach and swimmer, but moved to America and was raised there until he dropped out of high school to form his band Crush, which scored their only hit song, "My Love Tells Me So". After one of his band members died in an airplane accident, Chris Gaines went solo with his first album Straight Jacket in 1989, followed by Fornucopia in 1991, Apostle in 1994, and Triangle in 1996.
- Breakup Song: "Driftin' Away".
- Gold Digger: The subject of "Digging For Gold".
- Greatest Hits Album
- Grief Song: "Maybe" and "It Don't Matter To The Sun", which was sung as a tribute to his mother at the time of his father's passing.
- Hospital Hottie: On the cover of Straight Jacket, young Chris is flanked by two attractive nurses, but that's all we really know about them.
- List Song: "Right Now", based on Cheryl Wheeler's "If It Were Up To Me" (a list of things that may be the contribution of what's wrong in this world) and combining it with the chorus of the Youngbloods' "Get Together".
- Love Letter Lunacy: "Unsigned Letter".
- May-December Romance: The marriage relationship of the millionaire and his wife in "Digging For Gold", with the verse saying that the wife is young enough to be his daughter. However, she quickly proves that she's not in the marriage for love, but for money.
- One-Hit Wonder: In-universe, Chris' band Crush has only one hit, "My Love Tells Me So".
- Portmantitle: Fornucopia, which is a portmanteau of "fornication" and "cornucopia".
- Shout-Out: "Unsigned Letter" mentions Pandora's box from Greek mythology.
- Small Town Boredom: "Main Street".
- Title Only Chorus: "Way Of The Girl".
- White Flag: "White Flag".