(real name Vegard Sverre Tveitan
) is a Norwegian musician. He is best known as the leader, main songwriter, vocalist, guitarist, bassist and keyboardist of the Black Metal
. He has also done other musical projects (some close to black metal, some much less so; projects he has been involved in include Peccatum, Thou Shalt Suffer, Zyklon-B, Hardingrock, and Embryonic), including a number of solo albums simply under the name "Ihsahn". He is also a columnist in Guitar World Magazine.Solo discography
- The Adversary (2006)
- angL (2008)
- After (2010)
- Eremita (2012)
- Das Seelenbrechen (2013)
Tropes exhibited by or common in Ihsahn's work include:
- Black Metal: Though much more so in his work with Emperor than in his post-Emperor work. Nonetheless, there is still some black metal influence on much of Ihsahn's solo work.
- Epic Rocking: The longer songs span around 8 to 10 minutes. His longest solo songs are "The Pain Is Still Mine" (10:20), "Undercurrent" (10:00), and "On the Shores" (10:13).
- Lighter and Softer: Than his work with Emperor, arguably.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 9.
- Progressive Metal
- Special Guest: Devin Townsend has made a guest appearance on Eremita, returning the favour for Ihsahn's guest appearance on Deconstruction's song "Juular".
- Uncommon Time: He's a progressive metal artist; what else did you expect? "Called by the Fire" has some examples in its instrumental breaks; large portions of the song are in 7/8. Other examples get more complicated.